PHM-Exch> Al Jazeera : A corporate takeover of the UN must be stopped

Claudio Schuftan schuftan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 00:09:07 PDT 2023

From: Harris Gleckman <gleckman at mindspring.com

            Al Jazeera published today my op-ed which they entitled  " A
corporate takeover of the UN must be stopped".
<https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2023/8/3/a-corporate-takeover-of-the-un-must-be-stopped>

            TNI communication people (Shaun and Denis) patiently nurtured
the publication. It took over two months.

            The op-ed argues

“The United Nations needs a revamp
<https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2022/4/14/the-russia-ukraine-war-provides-an-opportunity-to-reform-the-un>.
There can be little dispute about that. And the UN’s September 2024 Summit
for the Future is an ideal opportunity for this upgrade.

The people of the world expect a global form of governance that can
confront the unique challenges of the 21st century. The UN’s creaking,
post-World War II structures have been struggling to meet
<https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/8/28/japan-to-push-for-africa-seat-at-the-un-security-council-kishida>
the
challenges of the modern world for a long time. The many crises we face
demand that the UN evolves to meet these challenges. But Secretary-General
Antonio Guterres’s vision for that evolution – as set out in his report to
the General Assembly, Our Common Agenda – is ill-conceived and
underwhelming.   More
<http://But%20Secretary-General%20Antonio%20Guterres’s%20vision%20for%20that%20evolution%20–%20as%20set%20out%20in%20his%20report%20to%20the%20General%20Assembly,%20Our%20Common%20Agenda%20–%20is%20ill-conceived%20and%20underwhelming.>