PHM-Exch> [PHM NEWS] A People's Charter for Health refresher/Nuestra Carta por la Salud de los Pueblos/Notre Charte pour la Sante des Peuples

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Feb 19 18:59:22 PST 2023

*Español sigue; français suive*

Believe it or not, our Charter is 22+ years old.
A historical memory is so important for PHM! Do all of us still, *de-facto*,
put enough emphasis on comprehensive PHC, on Alma Ata --which is from where
we all come-from? Many of our newer members come from varied professional
backgrounds --lawyers, sociologists anthropologists, political scientists,
in one way or another, working on public health. Our older guard comes
mostly from a direct public health background. Are younger cadres with such
a background, i.e., understanding and acting at the local, regional and
global core of our PHC struggle, joining us in sufficient numbers?
Most of us have probably not reread the People's Health Charter of 2000 for
a long time and newer members may have never read it in detail.
It is only 8 pages long and can be read in 15-20 minutes.
More than for memories' sake we invite you to re-read it to reinvigorate
our commitments and to show how seminal a document it is since it still
applies today. Take the time to read it!
Note that the Charter is available in 33 languages. You can go to
https://phmovement.org/the-peoples-charter-for-health/ and read it in your
own language.* (Also, as you have it in your own language, disseminate it
to like-minded people and groups and invite them to endorse it on our PHM
website).

*: English
https://phmovement.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/phm-pch-english.pdf
Castellano