PHM-Exch> Fwd: A note of thanks from the Intl Journal of Health Services

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Dec 19 07:23:53 PST 2022

From: Int Journal SDOHS <ijsdohs at gmail.com>

The IJ(SDO)HS depends on our global network of expert reviewers in order to
maintain its success as an internationally recognised point of reference
for pioneering research on the social determinants of health (SDOH), health
inequities and controversial issues surrounding health services. We highly
value the extensive breadth and depth of knowledge that our reviewers bring
to the journal, enabling us to publish high-quality scholarship from across
the globe. We also recognise the amount of time and care that goes into the
peer review process on a voluntary basis, and thank you sincerely for your
contribution to this work.

As we move into 2023, we will be making some changes to the journal:
starting with its title, which will become the* International Journal of
Social Determinants of Health and Health Services *in January 2023 in order
to better reflect the journal’s orientation and aims. We will also be
further embracing its global perspective and scope, publishing more
articles from the Global South on the social determinants of health (e.g.
social policies and applied research on housing, employment and
environment) including the intersectional relations of inequality (i.e.
social class, race, and gender, but also ethnicity, migration, ability,
sexual orientation, and other sources of health disparities). This
objective goes hand-in-hand with the need and commitment to continue
publishing high-quality studies on the SDOH published in the Anglo-Saxon
countries, which comprise the largest share of publications in this subject
globally. Expanding the global dimension of the journal reflects a
reaffirmation of its commitment to deepening knowledge on how inequalities,
power dynamics and structural injustices impact and shape the health of
populations across the globe.

Furthermore, we will be opening four new sections of the journal as of the
January 2023 issue, entitled:

   - Struggles for Global Health: Voices from the South
   - Causes of the Causes (macro-social and ecological determinants)
   - More than the Sum of its Parts: Beyond Reductionism (epistemology,
   systems thinking, methods, integrated analyses)
   - Understanding Social Mechanisms (key factors behind how health
   inequalities are generated and maintained)

We will be welcoming contributions to these sections on an ongoing basis,
as part of our efforts to foment scholarship on the structural and systemic
causes of both local and global health inequities.* We encourage you to
submit articles that could be published in these sections, and to share the
call for papers with colleagues who may be interested in contributing their
research.*

We are very excited about this new era of the journal,

Drs. Joan Benach and Carles Muntaner
Co-Editors-in-Chief
International Journal of Social Determinants of Health and Health Services

--
Editorial Office
*International Journal of Health Services*

Follow us on Twitter: @intj_sdohs