PHM-Exch> Fwd: EQUINET Conference 2022 ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

Jyotsna Singh jyotsna at phmovement.org
Thu Apr 14 02:44:24 PDT 2022

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Rene Loewenson <rene at tarsc.org>
Date: Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 2:13 PM
Subject: EQUINET Conference 2022 ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
To: Jyotsna Singh <jyotsna at phmovement.org>

[image: equinet conf logo 2022b][image: qr-code]*Regional Network for
Equity in Health in East and Southern Africa (EQUINET)*

*EQUINET Conference 2022*

*Catalysing change for health and social justice *

*Online: 28 July, 15 September, 13 October and 17 November *

*ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS *

The 2022 EQUINET Regional Conference, held online, invites people from all
levels, disciplines, sectors and institutions who contribute to health and
social justice in east and southern Africa. Challenging a neoliberal mantra
that there are no alternatives to policies that create social deficits and
injustice, the 2022 conference will share and discuss experiences, ideas,
evidence, analysis, successes and struggles from local to regional level
and engagement globally to advance health and wellbeing in our region.
Through the exchanges we will frame propositions to advance health equity
and social justice in our region. We are a network of many – community
members, workers, state personnel at all levels, civil society,
parliamentarians, academics, trade unions, professionals, innovators and
producers. We welcome the voices, lenses and different ways of
communicating ideas that all bring to the conference. For further
information visit the *Conference website*
https://www.equinetafrica.org/conference/home.html or scan the QR code.

The EQUINET Steering Committee have identified three Strategic Themes that
inform each of the first three full days (held 9am-5pm Southern Africa
time) of the online conference:

   1. Day 1, July 28th, will, after our opening, focus on *Reclaiming the
   resources for health, *including equity in access to decent living,
   working and community conditions; confronting old and new forms of
   extraction of mineral and biodiversity resources; exploring efforts to
   localise production of key goods and technologies for health; supporting
   food sovereignty and addressing drivers of pandemics and climate change.

   1. Day 2, September 15th will focus on *Reclaiming the state,* such as
   ensuring state duties and capacities for sustainable, equitable wellbeing;
   resisting and advancing public alternatives to the privatisation and
   commodification of essential services and systems; engaging on tax justice
   from local to global level and promoting comprehensive primary health care

   1. Day 3, October 13th will focus on *Reclaiming collective agency and
   solidarity in health**, *including efforts and insights from work to
   advance the right to health, build public health power, organise informed
   active citizenship and health literate communities; and to strengthen
   values based leadership and cadres and organic knowledge systems, including
   through participatory action research.

   1. Day 4, November 17th will be a half day 9am to 1pm Southern Africa
   time that explores the propositions and resolutions from across the first 3
   days and how we organise, network and act to take them forward.

*Registration opens April 1st and closes July 15th. *The conference numbers
are limited so apply early! Participants can register for one, two or all
three days of the conference and all those attending will be registered for
the fourth day. Visit the conference website *Registration page*
<https://www.equinetafrica.org/conference/registration.html> for
information and links to register.

*Submissions for presentation open April 1st and close June 15th.* We
invite submissions in different forms for presentation at the conference,
within one of the three Strategic Themes above that share experience,
evidence and actions. The work may be at local, national or regional level,
or report on regional engagement globally. The submission may be an oral
presentation, or a presentation of relevant photojournalism, art, music,
song, poetry, or recorded short podcast or drama.  Visit the conference
website *Abstract Submission page*
<https://www.equinetafrica.org/conference/abstract-submission.html> for
information and an online form to submit. We will notify applicants of the
outcome of submissions by 30th June.

*We look forward to seeing and hearing you at the EQUINET Conference 2022!*