PHM-Exch> [January 18 / 1-4PM CEST] WORKSHOP: Back to Alma Ata: WHO, democratic space and citizens’ participation in shaping health policies

Jasper Thys jasper.thys at vivasalud.be
Fri Jan 14 00:49:42 PST 2022

/Sorry for crossposting/

Dear PHM-friends

True to its yearly tradition, the Geneva Global Health Hub is setting up
a series of public briefings and civil society workshops in the run-up
to the Executive Board of the WHO. In this e-mail you will find some
more info about the workshop "Back to Alma Ata: WHO, democratic space
and citizens’ participation in shaping health policies", which will take
place on January 18 between 1PM and 4PM CEST and which we organise with
Viva Salud.

/Community engagement and participation were at the heart of the Alma
Ata Declaration in 1978. The fourth article of the Declaration states
that “people have the right and duty to participate individually and
collectively in the planning and implementation of their health care”.
More than 40 years later, this sounds like a faraway dream. Social
movements and activists defending the right to health are facing
increasing pressure all over the world and citizens’ control over health
policy stands at an all time low.
/

/How can we change this trend? How can social movements and health
activists be involved and participate in decision-making about national
and local health governance? What can be done to create and enhance the
democratic space for social movements defending the right to health in
WHO’s Member States? Why should the WHO relate to these actors and
questions? And how? In this civil society workshop, we want to think
with the wider movement for the right to health about how we and the
World Health Organization can strengthen the democratic space for the
social movement for health and improve citizen’s control over health
policy./

We have put the following program together:

*PART I* 	Welcome by the G2H2 steering council

	Introduction by Viva Salud

	Four case studies of community participation:
Bolivia by Emira Imaña (ALAMES)
Belgium by Jean Hermesse (Action platform for Health & Solidarity)
Democratic Republic of Congo by Erick Kambale (Étoile du Sud)
India by Samir Garg (State Health Resource Centre, Chhattisgarh)

	Q&A
*BREAK*
*PART II* 	WHO’s role by Kira Koch (WHO)

	Q&A
*PART III* 	Discussion in break-out rooms

We hope to see many of you there to reflect on and discuss about the
participation of citizens, social movements and civil society
organisations in shaping health policies at the local and national
level. You can join the workshop by registering via this link
<https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUrd-moqzguEtYtTCScYnObLY1oyhPdWTQd>.
More info about the G2H2-series to be foundhere
<https://g2h2.org/posts/january2022/>.

Have a wonderful day
Jasper

--