PHM-Exch> The imprisonment of Shatha Odeh from Health Work Committes (Palestine)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Oct 6 05:15:12 PDT 2021

From: Ana Vračar <ana at phmovement.org>

I just wanted to share a few updates on the imprisonment of Shatha Odeh,
the Director of Health Work Committees in Palestine. As we've heard here
before, Shatha was arrested by the Israeli Occupying Forces at the
beginning of July, and she remains in prison until today.

For an overview of the events in July
<https://peoplesdispatch.org/2021/07/08/israel-detains-dr-shatha-odeh-of-the-palestinian-health-work-committees/>
and the implications that the actions of the IOF against civil society in
Palestine are likely to have for the health of the people of Palestine
<https://peoplesdispatch.org/2021/07/15/the-arrest-of-shatha-odeh-undermines-access-to-health-care-in-palestine/>,
I suggest reading the two linked articles.

In the meantime, Shatha has had a number of court hearings, but neither her
or her family have had access to interpretation from Hebrew, which they
don't speak, making the whole process even more disturbing and complicated.
The last hearing was on Monday, 4 October, and a number of resources have
been shared around that date to ask people to support Shatha and push for
her release:

1. Illustration by WHD: https://whrdmena.org/2021/10/02/shathaenglish/
2. Letter by Shatha Odeh:
https://phmovement.org/a-letter-to-all-friends-and-internationals-in-solidarity-damoun-prison-23-september-2021/
2. Interview with Shirin Abu Fannouneh:
https://peoplesdispatch.org/2021/09/09/the-cost-of-being-a-palestinian-shatha-odehs-ordeal-in-prison/

Unfortunately, this hearing hasn't brought any progress, and another one
has been set for 15 November. I will share here updates as that date comes
closer, but in the meantime I would encourage everyone to share the
materials and information about Shatha's arrest in your networks and beyond.

In solidarity,