PHM-Exch> Fwd: Bulletin #7: Health in danger in conflict areas

Jyotsna Singh jyotsna at phmovement.org
Tue Aug 31 10:22:04 PDT 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Peoples Health Dispatch <health at peoplesdispatch.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 at 02:51
Subject: Bulletin #7: Health in danger in conflict areas
To: <jyotsna.jnu at gmail.com>

This fortnight As the US-led NATO forces started to retreat from
Afghanistan , they are leaving behind a health system dependent on
international NGOs and incapable of responding to local needs. As many
organizations leave after August 15, access to care will become even more
difficult, especially for the most vulnerable. We bring an overview of
healthcare in Afghanistan and what is t

Bulletin #7: Health in danger in conflict areas
<https://peoples-health-dispatch.ghost.io/bulletin-7/>
By People's Health Dispatch – 27 Aug 2021 – View online →

<https://peoplesdispatch.org/2021/08/26/afghanistan-the-challenges-of-a-health-system-dependent-on-foreign-aid/>,
they are leaving behind a health system dependent on international NGOs and
incapable of responding to local needs. As many organizations leave after
August 15, access to care will become even more difficult, especially for
the most vulnerable. We bring an overview of healthcare in Afghanistan and
what is to come.

Protests in France
<http://peoplesdispatch.org/2021/08/27/workers-in-france-protest-for-health-democracy/>against
the new public health measures introduced by the Macron administration have
been branded as anti-vax. Yet, there is more to it. The protesters are
asking for a more democratic response to the pandemic, one that would allow
the health system to grow stronger and be able to respond to future crises.

In West Asia and North Africa
<https://peoplesdispatch.org/2021/08/27/vaccine-rollout-in-north-africa-and-west-asia-inequities-rampant-as-conflict-hit-regions-suffer/>,
the Covid-19 vaccine rollout has been marked by stark disparities. While
Gulf countries were able to buy their way to high vaccination rates, others
were not so lucky. Countries hit by war and conflict have still not managed
to vaccinate even 2% of their population. Public health plans range from
the very organized to the very chaotic. We zoom in on vaccination campaigns
in the region.

Iran
<https://peoplesdispatch.org/2021/08/23/covid-19-related-deaths-surge-in-iran-amid-lack-of-vaccines/>experiences
a difficult road to vaccine doses, in large part due to US-imposed
sanctions. The new government has announced they would do everything in
their power to improve the situation, including through building local
production capacities. More in our *Short Reads.*

Access to Covid-19 diagnostics and vaccines remains a challenge in most of
the world. In many African countries, vaccination rates remain abysmally
low, while rich countries are already administering booster doses. More in
a video comment
<http://peoplesdispatch.org/2021/08/24/less-than-2-people-are-fully-vaccinated-in-africa-while-us-calls-for-a-third-dose/>
by health expert Satyajit Rath.

Inequities in access to the vaccine are not limited to those between rich
and poor countries. We highlight the significant differences between women
and men in our *Data Speaks* section.
------------------------------
Featured articles

*Afghanistan: The challenges of a health system dependent on foreign aid
<https://peoplesdispatch.org/2021/08/26/afghanistan-the-challenges-of-a-health-system-dependent-on-foreign-aid/>*

The health infrastructure set up during the US occupation was already
inadequate to meet people’s needs, and now it faces new challenges after
the Taliban's victory. Many Afghans struggle to access health care due to
the high costs and the long distances they need to travel, often through
conflict zones

*Workers in France protest for health democracy*
<http://peoplesdispatch.org/2021/08/27/workers-in-france-protest-for-health-democracy/>

In recent protests against the health pass and mandatory vaccination rules,
trade union activists have been pointing out the failures of the Emmanuel
Macron-led government in controlling the pandemic while highlighting the
need for proper public health measures

*Vaccine rollout in North Africa and West Asia: inequities rampant as
conflict-hit regions suffer
<https://peoplesdispatch.org/2021/08/27/vaccine-rollout-in-north-africa-and-west-asia-inequities-rampant-as-conflict-hit-regions-suffer/>*

Vaccination rates remain low in West Asia and North Africa even as these
regions see an increase in the number of Covid-19 cases. As the health
emergency deepens, sluggish vaccination campaigns and extreme disparities
within the region remain a challenge
------------------------------
Short reads

*COVID-19-related deaths surge in Iran amid lack of vaccines*
<https://peoplesdispatch.org/2021/08/23/covid-19-related-deaths-surge-in-iran-amid-lack-of-vaccines/>

Iran is currently facing the fifth wave of COVID-19 pandemic, with many
cases of the highly contagious Delta variant being reported. The country is
facing problems importing the vaccines due to sanctions imposed by the US
------------------------------

*Video: Less than 2% people are fully vaccinated in Africa while US calls
for a third dose*
<http://peoplesdispatch.org/2021/08/24/less-than-2-people-are-fully-vaccinated-in-africa-while-us-calls-for-a-third-dose/>

The total COVID-19 cases in Africa has now crossed 7.5 million, yet less
than 2% of the continent’s population has been vaccinated
  <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJuE4szbj3M>
------------------------------
Data speaks
*Source: https://www.covid19india.org/ <https://www.covid19india.org/>*
------------------------------
In case you missed it
Big Pharma– Maximum Earnings, Minimum Responsibilities | NewsClick
The pandemic has again exposed the true nature of capitalism with profit
being the primary driver irrespective of the rising inequalities.
NewsClick•Richa Chintan
<https://www.newsclick.in/Big-Pharma%E2%80%93Maximum-Earnings-Minimum-Responsibilities>
Opinion: Biden’s failing global Covid-19 response
Have we been duped? Just a few months ago, our organizations, Universities
Allied for Essential Medicines and Health Global Access Project, celebrated
President Joe Biden’s support to temporarily waive intellectual property
(IP) for Covid-19 vaccines. For a moment, we had hoped that this commitment
…
CNN•Opinion by Reshma Ramachandran and Asia Russell
<https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/21/opinions/biden-global-covid-response-ramachandran-russell/index.html>
How vaccine hesitancy grew in India with COVID-19
The government’s lack of transparency, unreasonable requirements for access
and flip-flops on vaccine policy contributed to vaccine hesitancy.
The Caravan•Akshay Tarfe
<https://caravanmagazine.in/health/india-did-not-have-a-vaccine-hesitancy-crisis-till-the-government-mismanaged-covid19>
How Decades of Neoliberalism Left the NHS on the Brink
NHS waiting lists in England have hit a record high. This isn’t just an
unavoidable outcome of Covid-19 – it’s the consequence of years of
neoliberal health policy.
•Chris Thomas
<https://tribunemag.co.uk/2021/08/how-decades-of-neoliberalism-left-the-nhs-on-the-brink>
Healthcare workers in the third wave: “We are living in the shadows of
death”
It’s been over a year since COVID-19 first hit South Africa. Since then,
many people have been living in constant fear and many have lost loved
ones. Frontline healthcare workers had no choice but to face their fears if
they were to keep doing the life-saving work they were trained for. Amy
Green an…
Spotlight•Amy Green for Spotlight and Health-e News
<https://www.spotlightnsp.co.za/2021/08/18/healthcare-workers-in-the-third-wave-we-are-living-in-the-shadows-of-death/>
Haiti hospitals overwhelmed as earthquake disaster worsens existing needs
The humanitarian outlook in Haiti was already dire. Now, aid workers and
emergency responders are having to battle multiple crises at once.
The New Humanitarian•Evens Mary
<https://www.thenewhumanitarian.org/news/2021/8/17/haiti-hospitals-overwhelmed-as-earthquake-disaster-worsens-existing-needs>
*People’s Health Dispatch is an initiative of Peoples Dispatch and the
People's Health Movement*
Peoples Health Dispatch © 2021 – Unsubscribe
<https://peoples-health-dispatch.ghost.io/unsubscribe/?uuid=8f7209b1-e719-4b1d-8275-af8c36774f05>