PHM-Exch> [PHM NEWS] Update # Free Shatha Odeh 30th August.

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Aug 30 21:06:13 PDT 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Sundararaman T <sundar at phmovement.org>

Here is a small update - in three sections - A, Situation regard Shatha
Odeh   B. Follow up efforts to completed or ongoing C. Follow up actions
planned and suggested

*A.Situation regarding Shatha and HWC,( from family and legal support)*

   - *Mrs. Shatha Odeh’s Health Conditions during Incarceration:* Since her
   transfer to Damon Prison, the conditions of her incarceration have become a
   bit better from those in HaSharon Detention Center; however, the overall
   detention conditions in Damon Prison, as reported by Palestinian women
   prisoners, do not align with the bare minimum of adequate living standards.
   Mrs. Shatha underwent a general health examination, and her blood tests
   have all returned with good results. She is on the list of prisoners for an
   eye appointment; there’s no clear day and time for the appointment yet.
   According to the IPS, Mrs. Shatha will take her third vaccine shot; this is
   only possible when the needed time between the third and second shots is
   fulfilled. *The family* *have a scheduled visit of Mrs. Shatha on
   Thursday, 2 September 2021*. They have informed us to feel free to let
   us know whether we have specific urgent questions to share with Mrs.
   Shatha. (* from gc: perhaps we can send her solidarity note- I am not
   sure we want to pose any questions to her. )*

   - *Legal Updates:* The official legal procedures have not been initiated
   yet. Mrs. Shatha’s upcoming hearing sessions before Ofer military court is
   scheduled for 4 October 2021. Notably, Adalah (the Legal Center for Arab
   Minority Rights in Israel) submitted a complaint against the Israeli
   military commander’s military order relating to the closure of the HWC to
   the legal advisor of the Israeli military commander. Adalah has yet to
   receive an answer from them; however, we expect a refusal to the complaint.
   The next step would be filing a petition to the Israeli High Court.

   - *Updates on the HWC:* We are waiting for a note from Abed to follow up
   on the situation with the HWC restraints.

B. *Efforts to Release Shatha Odeh *

   - 1. The Palestinian Human Rights Organizations Council and Palestinian
   NGO network have filed a formal appeal using the Special Procedures
   process, on 12th August 2021. This appeal is filed with the UN Rapporteur
   for the arbitrary detention and Human Rights Defenders and marked to five
   other Special Rapporteur.  This appeal is signed by 39 Palestinain NGOs.  (
   attachment 01)
   - 2. Ms Mary Lawlor , Special Rapporteur on the situation of Human
   Rights Defenders has issued a call for the release of Ms Shatha Odeh. This
   was issued on 11th August: It states "….I am shocked that members of the
   Health Work Committee, who provide health services to Palestinians living
   in remote areas of the West Bank, were arrested, interrogated and may be
   criminalised because of their human rights work….I call on Israeli
   authorities to release all three human rights defenders immediately,” said
   Lawlor. She also urged authorities to investigate allegations of
   ill-treatment against the two women human rights defenders. The
   deteriorating health of Odeh and the solitary confinement of Sánchez are
   extremely worrying,” she said. Odeh, who has chronic underlying health
   conditions, had initially been denied access to necessary medication and
   clean clothes. “ The full article is attached (attachment 02) She was
   also responding to the special procedure filed by the Frontline Defenders
   which sent an appeal on behalf of Shatha, and two others Juani and Taysir
   who were part of the arrests.
   - 3. Al-Haq, a Palestinian Human Rights organization based in West Bank,
   Ramallah has also sent an appeal marked to all six special rapporteurs for
   Shathas release
   - 4. PHM has written to Tlaleng Mofokeng, Special Rapporteur for Right
   to Health. Her office has responded saying they have taken note of the
   complaint and they would follow up and share the developments with us. We
   are following.
   - 5. There has been no response from Michelle Bachelet’s office- but we
   have doubts that we reached it correctly - because we needed to have used
   the special procedures route- which takes us only to th Special
   Rapporteurs, from whom it should go to her. We have not established any
   direct contacts with her office, but trying.
   - 6. The lawyers and family have suggested that on the issue of Shathas
   release we keep contact with Milena Ansari, International Advocacy Officer,
   Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association. Can share her email
   to those following up. On HWC itself we follow up with Abed Ghazal who
   should be sending us an update.We have a background document that is being
   attached to this mail (03)

 C. *Furhter Follow up Actions Planned :*
1.  Most of the above actions flow from the decisions/suggests of theWar
and Conflict Thematic group and the Coco meeting both of which was held on
August 10th.  The next Coco meeting is on August 8th, and any further input
suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks also to Sarojini and Jyotsna for
their suggests in their email below. ,
2. Sarojini also followed up with me on the phone . She also has informed
that the Gender Justice Thematic Group would be organizing a webinar on
this theme involving and mobilizing a wider and different set of concerned
organizations which would bring more pressure to bear.
3. In discussion with her lawyer, it seems that despite so many filings
with the Special Rapporteurs , one from PHM to Mary Lawlor would be
helpful- and we are following up on that. We should be filing another
special procedures appeal in a day or two
4. We are also following up a set of influential individuals and finding
out whether we have some more persons who can intermediate with authorities
who can bring pressure on the interview.
5. Most regional coordinators are marked on this email and we request them
to organize regional and country circle measures as appropriate and within
their capacity. It would be  good to observe the 7th of each month as one
more month of incarceration in some way or other.
6. There is one suggestion ( initiated by Fran, of dedicating a web-page to
the different conflict hotspots where health rights defenders are being
targeted. We will work that out in synergy with the War and Conflict
thematic page. This is coming up for discussion in the coming Coco. Hope to
provide an update on this site that can be accessed by all members, once in
two weeks or at least once a month.

Please feel free to write to Global Secretariat at
globalsecretariat at phmovement.org and do mark a copy to me
sundar at phmovement.org with any queries. Within the global secretariat
Jyotsna is the nodal person for follow up on this issue
jyotsna at phmovement.org but this is an important issue and you could write
to anyone witihin it or to the co-chairs and it would get followed up.

If there are any further actions taken by us or others on this issue,
please be sure to share it with us…