PHM-Exch> South Korean IP activist Heesob passed away, 10 May 2020

김선 sunkim at health.re.kr
Mon May 10 06:51:08 PDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

It is our deepest sorrow that our colleague Heesob Nam (1966-2021), a South
Korean IP activist, passed away today 10 May 2020.

I believe many of you have been his longstanding friends or colleagues.

He had lived with cancer for the last several years but worked even harder
and more passionate to reform the IP regime locally and globally. During
the last months, he drafted the resolution supporting the TRIPS waiver
proposal and the patent law amendment for the Korean National Assembly and
mobilized legislators to propose these. He had also organized series of
webinars on the political economy of TRIPS and TRIPS-plus in the COVID-19
era to which some of you had been invited.

He was a legendary IP activist, with a tireless drive for social change. It
is our great loss.
We will continue the movement that Heesob helped to chart.

Sun Kim
On behalf of South Korean civil society

Heesob Nam (1966-2021) Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/heeseob.nam>
Twitter <https://twitter.com/heesob>
Representative and chief researcher, Knowledge Commune
<http://knowledgecommune.net/>
Director, Commons Foundation
Former Director, Opennet
Former Director, IPLeft
Took lead in the movement for anti-KORUS FTA and anti-RCEP
Took lead in the CL application for access to Gleevec and access to Fuzeon

---
김선, 보건경제학박사
시민건강연구소 건강정책연구센터장
민중건강운동 동남아시아태평양 지역 코디네이터

Sun Kim, M.S., Ph.D.
Director, Health Policy Research Center, People's Health Institute (PHI)
South Korea
PHI blog <http://health.re.kr/?page_id=35>, Twitter
<https://twitter.com/phikorea>, Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/phikorea/>  <http://health.re.kr/?page_id=35>
Regional coordinator, People's Health Movement (PHM) South East Asia &
Pacific (SEAP)
PHM Global blog <https://phmovement.org/>, Twitter
<https://twitter.com/PHMglobal>, Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/peopleshealthmovement/> / PHM Korea blog