PHM-Exch> [PHM NEWS] conversations to deepen ourunderstanding of public health from a feminist perspective

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Mar 17 19:49:07 PDT 2021

From: Sarojini N B <sarojini at phmovement.org>

We have lived with a pandemic and its trials and tribulations for over a
year now. During this time, we have engaged on issues and concerns that
emerged from COVID 19 and responses to it at various levels, through
community action, research and education. Through these experiences of the
past year, we have seen how the pandemic has impacted several dimensions of
our lives, particularly marginalised lives.  At the same time, in many
ways, the responses to the pandemic have shaped and reinforced older
persisting  concerns.

We believe that a series of conversations to deepen our understanding of
public health from a feminist perspective are necessary. These will
introspect on the present moment while recognising its past linkages, and
attempting to make collective sense of the future.

The  conversations will deliberate on:

Our learnings from the past pandemics and the recent global outbreaks in
terms of global governance; Were past experiences similar or different from
the current COVID 19 context?

How have pandemics shaped the economic, social,  environmental, geo
political, and technological aspects of our lives?

Towards this, Sama Resource Group for Women & Health is initiating  a *series
of conversations* and  *the first *is on *“Pandemics & Public health:
Learnings from the Past & Present*” on 30th March 2021.

*Time: 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM* *IST | 10:30AM - 12:30PM GMT | 6.30AM - 8.30AM
EDT*

*The conversations will be with:*

*Dr. Prashant Kidambi* is a historian based at the Centre for Urban
History, University of Leicester. His book 'The Making of an Indian
Metropolis: Colonial Governance and Public Culture in Bombay, 1890-1920',
highlights the impact of the plague pandemic on colonial Bombay.

*Dr. Carlo Caduff* is the author of ‘The Pandemic Perhaps: Dramatic Events
in a Public Culture of Danger’. He is a Reader in the Department of Global
Health & Social Medicine at King's College, London. His research concerns
include questions of global health & disease, science & technology, ethics
& morality.

*Facilitators:*

*Dr. Rama Baru* is a Professor at the Centre for Social Medicine and
Community Health at the Jawaharlal Nehru University.

*Dr. Aditya Bharadwaj* is a Professor of Anthropology & Sociology at the
Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva.

*This first conversation is organised *by *Sama Resource Group for Women &
Health *(http://www.samawomenshealth.in/) with Gender, Justice & Health
Thematic Group of *People’s Health Movement (PHM)* (https://phmovement.org/)

*Please register in advance **using the following link:*

*https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_5a1Q80t-QFuGP1-Wf4ADcw*
<https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_5a1Q80t-QFuGP1-Wf4ADcw>

We request you to forward this invitation to those who may be interested.

Looking forward to your participation.

*For details contact*:

Sarojini N: sarojini at phmovement.org

Neelanjana Das: sama.publichealth at gmail.com