PHM-Exch> MAPPING REMUNICIPALISATION: GLOBAL REPORT AND DATABASE LAUNCH

Sulakshana Nandi sulakshana.nandi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 00:00:08 PST 2021

Dear All

Forwarding the announcement of an event launching the global
de-privatisation database which is happening today (26th February) at 2 PM
UTC. Request you to please share it within your country circles and
networks.

A number of PHM country circles have been trying to undertake similar
mapping and contribute to the database. One of the latest additions in the
database has been contributed by JSA Chhattisgarh
<https://publicfutures.org/#/case/1488>. The details for accessing the full
database are in the email below. I'm sure many of our comrades would find
it useful and interesting.

We hope to continue to collaborate with TNI and others in documenting more
such cases of deprivatisation and remunicipalisation.

with regards

Sulakshana

--------------------------

Dear friends,

I am pleased to share with you about the online event to launch the global
de-privatisation database on Friday 26th. It is co-hosted by the University
of Glasgow, TNI and PSI.

MAPPING REMUNICIPALISATION: GLOBAL REPORT AND DATABASE LAUNCH

register from here:
*https://www.tni.org/en/webinar/remunicipalisation-global-report-and-database-launch*
<https://www.tni.org/en/webinar/remunicipalisation-global-report-and-database-launch>

Friday 26th February,  at 3PM (Brussels, Madrid CET time)

With

   - John McDonnell (Labour MP and former UK Shadow Chancellor)
   - Daria Cibrario (Public Services International)
   - Andrew Cumbers (author of Reclaiming Public Ownership: Making Space
   for Economic Democracy and University of Glasgow researcher)
   - Laura Stegemann (University of Glasgow)
   - Chaired by Bethia Pearson and Franziska Paul (Research Associate, ERC
   Global Remunicipalisation project)

The global database of de-privatisation is growing. We count 1456 cases
today. *https://publicfutures.org* <https://publicfutures.org>

If you want to see newly added cases, you can sort 'Most recently added
cases first'. I enclose some of the new cases at the end for your
inspiration. For instance, The city of Merona Buenos Aires province
remunicipalised waste collection, tax collection and parking, and has
created two ‘Agroecological Agrarian Parks’ under new female Mayor Mariel
Fernández's leadership. The 2nd big wave of water remunicipalisation is
happening largely as a result of green and social alliances victories in
the last local election.

Anyone can contribute to add new cases from your city and region. If you
don't have time to write a case, inform us (by e-mail or via website) so
that we can look into it. Your information is key for global collective
knowledge building!

Taking this opportunity, let me add a few more updates.

The Portuguese edition of the full book was made and a *pdf file*
<https://www.tni.org/en/node/25439> is available now. The Korean edition of
the full book will follow (Wol-San/KPTU’s initiative).

The Future is public executive summary report was translated into *Japanese*
<https://www.tni.org/en/futureispublic?content_language=ja>, *Dutch*
<https://www.tni.org/en/futureispublic?content_language=nl> (FNV, De 99
Amsterdam initiative), to add to ES, FR and Arabic. Turkish (FNV
initiative), Catalan (Mirimam/ISF), Armenian (EPSU initiative) are
upcoming. Thank you so much, friends.

Warm greetings,

Satoko Kishimoto, TNI

Some of the new cases for your inspiration...

Water, Lyon, France *https://publicfutures.org/#/case/1482/*

In December 2020, the metropolitan council of Lyon voted to reclaim public
ownership of the water management for the greater Lyon area. With this
decision, the council aims to establish public management of water as a
common good, ensuring more protection of the already scarce resource.

Water, Bordeaux, France https://publicfutures.org/#/case/1486/

On December 18th, 2020, the metropolitan council of Bordeaux voted to
reclaim public ownership of the supply of drinking water in the metropole.
The take-over will take place on January 1st in 2023, when the contract of
the private company Suez, which currently manages the drinking water supply
under a public service delegation, expires.

Hospital in Chhattisgarh, India. https://publicfutures.org/#/case/1488

In 2017, the government of Chhattisgarh decided not to renew its contract
with the private hospital operator Fortis to return the management of the
Advanced Cardiac Institute in Raipur to public hands.

Public lighting services, Villavicencio, Colombia.
*https://publicfutures.org/#/case/1516/*

In February 2021, the mayor of Villavicencio officially presented the new
publicly-owned technology and service company Alborada, which takes over
the public lighting services in the city after 22 years of private
operations.

Food production/agriculture in Moreno, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
https://publicfutures.org/#/case/1510/

On September 10, 2020, an Ordinance sent by Fernández was passed by the
local Council, which established the creation of ‘Agroecological Agrarian
Parks’ (Parques Agrarios Agroecológicos).

Federal prison, Winton, North Carolina (NC), USA
*https://publicfutures.org/#/case/1511/*

On March 31st, 2021, the Rivers Correctional Institution (RCI) in North
Carolina will close its doors as the contract between private prison
operator GEO and the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) is set to expire.

--
Website: https://phmovement.org
Twitter: @PHMglobal