PHM-Exch> PHM Sri Lanka annual report

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sat Jan 23 19:01:49 PST 2021

*COUNTRY REPORT OF PEOPLE’S HEALTH MOVEMENT  – SRI LANKA (PHM SL)*

PHM SL works on full voluntary basis without any office bearers and bank
accounts.  We have only a Convenor namely, Ms Menu Nilukshika de Silva.  (Her
Email address is: menu_cma at yahoo.com & Contact No. +94767295150). who
usually calls the meetings.

Dr Vinya Ariyaratne, President of the Sarvodaya Movement provides all
logistical facilities for the Monthly Meetings, Publishing of leaflets,
posters etc. and requirements for other activities.  PHM – SL is a network
of 40 organizations and some keen individuals who are ready to protect the
health rights of the people of Sri Lanka.  PHM SL is recognized as a member
of Open Government Partnership (OGP).  Indra Cancer Trust Fund is willing
to bring in a Patients’ Rights Declaration and PHM SL has had discussions
with them and hopes to move forward.

*COVID 19 PANDEMIC*

PHM SL had a couple of monthly meetings on zoom and also had physical
meetings during the Covid 19 pandemic.  It is notable that all our member
organizations are working closely with quarantine people and camps for
quarantine people.  Necessary food items and other requirements are being
distributed to these people.  Sarvodaya Movement is giving a big helping
hand for these activities.

*HEALTH EDUCATION*

Necessary health education activities also have been started.  Email and
Face Book messages are disseminated. Sarvodaya Movement has launched a
special community education programme as “Suvodaya Programme”.  Some of our
member organizations held educational programmes with Suvaodaya.  Dr
Ariyaratne and Professor Manuj Weerasinghe have held many programmes on the
TV  and on zoom for the benefit of the public and they have taken all
necessary measures to protect the patients’ rights.  PHM SL is trying to
build up opinion leaders for controlling Covid 19.

2

*HEALTH RIGHTS CAMPAIGN*

We are continuously campaigning for health rights.  Presently Hon. Minister
of Water & Sanitation, Mr V. Nanaykkara (long term active member of PHM –
SL) has undertaken to hold a meeting with Members of Parliament in order to
bring in a Motion at the Sri Lanka Parliament to include Health Rights to
the Sri Lanka Constitution.  At present, we are continuing with the
required activities.

*PUBLICATIONS*

PHM – SL has published 3 Magazines for the year 2020.  Our Members are keen
in continuing this activity in the future as well.

*TRAINING PROGRAMMES & ASSEMBLIES*

12 members of PHM – SL participated at the PHM Assembly in Dhaka.  One
member participated at the IPHU Training in Nepal.

We are pleased to mention that we are happy about the progress made during
the year 2020 amidst the difficulties encountered due to the Covid 19
Pandemic.

*PEOPLE’S HEALTH MOVEMENT *

*SRI LANKA*

*January 2021*