PHM-Exch> IBFAN calls for a rethink on the Sunsetting of Code reporting. Senior UN Staff support IBFAN's Counter Call

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Nov 29 08:07:00 PST 2020

From: Patti Rundall, Baby Milk Action <prundall at babymilkaction.org>

Call for rethink on Sunsetting of Code reporting. Senior UN Staff for
IBFAN's Counter Call

*IBFAN and partners call for continued reporting of harmful baby food
marketing*
A  Decision
<https://babymilkaction.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c4d7655f8113c74ec9ce9fec1&id=b5cd9a8216&e=c77606d6a7>
'noted' at the 73rd World Health Assembly
<https://babymilkaction.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c4d7655f8113c74ec9ce9fec1&id=da619508d8&e=c77606d6a7>
to end reporting on the International Code
<https://babymilkaction.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c4d7655f8113c74ec9ce9fec1&id=58ee5bcc4e&e=c77606d6a7>
to the World Health Assembly after 2030 is causing alarm amongst the public
health community.

*IBFAN's statement outlining 10 reasons why the Decision should be recalled
or amended is  HERE
<https://babymilkaction.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c4d7655f8113c74ec9ce9fec1&id=c5b9da997b&e=c77606d6a7>.*
If you agree with our analysis please share with your government
representatives
<https://babymilkaction.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c4d7655f8113c74ec9ce9fec1&id=f5a3e68dbc&e=c77606d6a7>
and request that the decision is recalled or amended. *Member States are
invited to submit comments to WHO by  2nd December. *

IBFAN made a statement
<https://babymilkaction.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c4d7655f8113c74ec9ce9fec1&id=d2b4ae8edc&e=c77606d6a7>
during the WHA and later met WHO senior staff to explain our concerns.
While we understand the need for WHO to streamline and 'sunset' redundant
topics, this decision has legal implications and long term harmful
consequences for maternal and child health. WHO assured us of its strong
commitment to the Code and the protection of breastfeeding and its wish to
work together with IBFAN for the protection of child health.  Also that if
the unintended consequence of a broader governance issue is implied as a
lack of WHO’s support for the Code, that needs to be corrected.

*Short summary of the 10 reasons why there should be a rethink:*

   1. *On technical grounds *due to the meeting being online. (see Point 1)
   2. *The Code should be considered an exception *as an important work in
   progress. (See Point 2)
   3. *On legal grounds.* The Code is in a 'class of its own' in terms of
   international human rights law and places obligations on Member States and
   the WHO to implement and enforce it and commercial companies to comply with
   it. (Point 3)
   4. *The Code is not a time-defined goal* like the MDGs or SDGs. WHO has
   a responsibility to alert its Member States to any threat to global health.
   This must include harmful commercial promotion on baby foods, tobacco,
   ultra-processed products etc. (Point 4)
   5. *Reporting to the WHA on the Code* *should not end* until there is
   convincing evidence that it is no longer needed (point 5)
   6. *Governments and WHO have legal obligations* under the WHO
   Constitution
   <https://babymilkaction.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c4d7655f8113c74ec9ce9fec1&id=486fac90c9&e=c77606d6a7>
   and the Code
   <https://babymilkaction.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c4d7655f8113c74ec9ce9fec1&id=253f0a90be&e=c77606d6a7>
   itself. Their removal will have serious consequences for maternal and child
   Health. (Point 6)
   7. *'Sunsetting' the Code will undermine the adoption of new Resolutions
   *that keep pace with evolving marketing and help governments improve
   legislation. (Point 7)
   8. *There is **evidence that exploitation*
   <https://babymilkaction.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c4d7655f8113c74ec9ce9fec1&id=7921b054c6&e=c77606d6a7>and
misleading
   marketing of baby foods increases with pandemics such as the  COVID-19.
   9. *There is no evidence that companies will abide by voluntary codes*
   (Points 9 and 10)

------------------------------
Former UNICEF Deputy Exec. Directors Kul Gautam and Sir Richard Jolly and
Peter Greaves join IBFAN’s Counter Call
<https://babymilkaction.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c4d7655f8113c74ec9ce9fec1&id=de686fa0bf&e=c77606d6a7>
The sunsetting decision is closely linked to an initiative launched in June
entitled, Breastmilk Substitutes Call to Action
<https://babymilkaction.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c4d7655f8113c74ec9ce9fec1&id=e5da0c1ef6&e=c77606d6a7>(CTA).
The CTA called on companies to make voluntary commitments (by September
2020) explaining how they would abide by the International Code and
Resolutions by 2030.  We are told that none of the companies approached met
even the minimum CTA requirements.  In our meeting with WHO, we reiterated
our call that WHO should distance itself from the CTA and its voluntary
approach. The CTA  sends confusing messages to Member States and implies
that it is wise to trust that companies will comply with the Code. We
believe WHO should focus its attention of helping build strong legislation.

*For other news about Codex
<https://babymilkaction.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c4d7655f8113c74ec9ce9fec1&id=2ba27ec6d3&e=c77606d6a7>,
UK legislation
<https://babymilkaction.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c4d7655f8113c74ec9ce9fec1&id=93c559c67c&e=c77606d6a7>