PHM-Exch> Fwd: medico newsletter, Issue #1

Gargeya Telakapalli gargeya.t at phmovement.org
Mon Nov 23 23:11:13 PST 2020

*First Issue of Newsletter by Medico International*
#######################

[image: medico_logo]
<https://www.medico.de/newsletter/issue-1-the-new-medico-newsletter?mid=610&aC=d16c917e&jumpurl=1>

Issue #1 – the new medico newsletter

Dear Partner,

this letter marks the start of something new. Up until now we’ve kept our
partners all over the world informed about our activities first and
foremost by printing an international annual report once a year. We now
feel this is too little. We want to share thoughts more frequently and
provide more up-to-the minute communication. So from now on, we will be
writing regular digital newsletters in English, Spanish and French and
sending them to you, our partners. Each issue will contain a selection of
recent texts which we believe will be of interest to you and will encourage
discussion.

Most of the pieces in this first issue take Covid-19 as their starting
point. The pandemic shows us how closely interconnected the world is, but
also how deeply divided it is; it shows how important constructive
international cooperation and a global balance actually are - and how far
off we are from achieving these things. The consequences are lethal -
directly and indirectly. At the same time, the virus puts the spotlight on
what we have working on for decades: the human right to equal access to
health. We have always seen the fight for equal access to health as a
political issue: as criticism of disenfranchisement and inequality as well
as a challenge to create local, regional and global conditions in which
health can be ensured in an emancipatory way. As the right to education,
food and a secure livelihood. As the right to a life in safety, in dignity
and free from poverty. As the right to rights.

This is also about an old conflict that Covid-19 and the global hope for a
vaccine has put back on the agenda: what has to happen for essential
medicines to be available and accessible to everyone, everywhere in the
world? We have teamed up with other civil society organisations, including
the People's Health Movement, to launch the Patents Kill. Medicine for All!
campaign. Many of you have been kind enough to support and spread the
campaign call.

We hope the newsletter idea and selection of texts meets your interest. The
next issue is planned for spring 2021.

Yours in solidarity,

medico international!

PS: More about current medico topics and Covid-19 at www.medico.de/en
<https://www.medico.de/newsletter/issue-1-the-new-medico-newsletter?mid=610&aC=d16c917e&jumpurl=2>

<https://www.medico.de/newsletter/issue-1-the-new-medico-newsletter?mid=610&aC=d16c917e&jumpurl=3>
Debate Global Matrix of Coloniality

What you can learn from South African post- and neo-apartheid: A suggestion
for a cosmopolitan insurgency from the ground up. Interview with Tshepo
Madlingozi.

Continue reading
<https://www.medico.de/newsletter/issue-1-the-new-medico-newsletter?mid=610&aC=d16c917e&jumpurl=3>

<https://www.medico.de/newsletter/issue-1-the-new-medico-newsletter?mid=610&aC=d16c917e&jumpurl=4>
Covid-19 The short spring of solidarity

While international solidarity in containing the corona pandemic is
officially emphasized, many states are relying on nationalism in vaccine
research. By Dr. Andreas Wulf.

Continue reading
<https://www.medico.de/newsletter/issue-1-the-new-medico-newsletter?mid=610&aC=d16c917e&jumpurl=4>

<https://www.medico.de/newsletter/issue-1-the-new-medico-newsletter?mid=610&aC=d16c917e&jumpurl=5>
Migration policy Protecting borders instead of refugees

After the fire at the Moria camp on the island of Lesbos: How Europe is
flogging off the human rights that underpin it at the Greek EU border. By
Ramona Lenz.

Continue reading
<https://www.medico.de/newsletter/issue-1-the-new-medico-newsletter?mid=610&aC=d16c917e&jumpurl=5>

<https://www.medico.de/newsletter/issue-1-the-new-medico-newsletter?mid=610&aC=d16c917e&jumpurl=6>
Afghanistan and Covid-19 Troubled today and an uncertain future

The country has almost nothing to counter the virus. A report by Jawad
Zawulistani from the partner organization Afghanistan Human Rights and
Democracy (AHRDO).

Continue reading
<https://www.medico.de/newsletter/issue-1-the-new-medico-newsletter?mid=610&aC=d16c917e&jumpurl=6>

medico informiert Sie mehrmals im Jahr über aktuelle Projekte und
Neuigkeiten.
Wenn Sie diese Informationen in Zukunft nicht mehr erhalten möchten, können
Sie den *Newsletter abbestellen*
<info at medico.de?subject=Newsletter%20abbestellen&body=krawinkel at medico.de>.

KONTAKT

medico international