PHM-Exch> Learning session on health inequalities & COVID-19: Impact on food systems and food insecurity

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Thu Nov 19 05:27:07 PST 2020

From: Jasper Thys <jasper.thys at vivasalud.be>

*Learning session on health inequalities & Covid-19 : impact on food
systems and food insecurity: *

Covid-19 opens up our view to larger political, economic and social issues
previously present in our contemporary world. Therefore to *call Covid-19 a
pandemic, doesn’t do it justice. Instead, we should refer to it as a
‘syndemic’. *To think in terms of a syndemic enables us to think of
Covid-19 and its interaction with our* health- and social inequalities*,
and therefore its larger interconnectedness and root causes.

To dig deeper under the surface, we’ll dive into the relationship between
Covid-19 and food insecurity. Firstly, doctoral scholar and research
fellow *Jane
Ezirigwe *from the department of Research at the Nigerian Institute of
Advanced Legal Studies in Lagos, Nigeria, will highlight her research on*
achieving the realities of food security imperatives in terms of the
sustainable development goals on the African continent*. Her research will
be combined with a practical example from the Belgian context. *Iris
Verhoeven* from *social society organisation Riso* will present on the
*StadsAkker
(City Farm)*, as a way to mobilize and ensure access to affordable and
healthy food in a sustainable way, reducing food waste and promoting
solidarity on a local level.

*Interested? Register* on ZOOM
<https://itg.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEsdu-pqj4jE9ICu8qP65O23rxrKEuZZQZe> for
the event at the *24th of November at 14h* for a 1 hour learning session on
health inequalities and food insecurity in relation to the Covid-19
syndemic in the global South and the global North.