PHM-Exch> (Re-)Making a People’s WHO

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Aug 19 20:27:41 PDT 2020

From: Lexi Nolen <lexibambas at hotmail.com>
*From:* spiritof1848 at googlegroups.com <spiritof1848 at googlegroups.com> on
behalf of Anne-Emanuelle Birn <ae.birn at utoronto.ca>

 The survival of WHO continues to be a prime concern; today Reuters reports
that France and Germany are seeking to increase WHO’s funding and its
ability to call out non-compliant countries.

Though promising, these measures still do not get to the crux of the
problem.

 In May Laura Nervi and I wrote a short article on this issue titled:
“(Re-)Making a People’s WHO,” which has been published in the September
issue of AJPH.  It highlights the following.

 Amid the hullabaloo around the Trump administration’s withdrawal from WHO,
and the many voices rallying to defend a strong WHO, a crucial issue is
left out of the picture: the vast and undemocratic influence over WHO of
corporations, philanthropies, and their powerful country partners. We argue
that this situation needs to be reversed in order for WHO to be
re-legitimized and truly address the people’s health.

Unfortunately, one needs a personal or institutional subscription to access
the article in English, but we obtained permission to translate it
in open-access format, and it has now been posted in French, Spanish, and
German.

English version (with individual or institutional subscription):
 “(Re-)Making a People’s WHO,” *American Journal of Public Health*, 110: 9
(September 2020): e1-e2. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2020.305806

*For those of you who read French, Spanish, or German, the open-access
links are here:*

French version:
https://blogs.mediapart.fr/anne-emanuelle-birn/blog/210720/re-faire-l-oms-pour-le-peuple

Spanish version:
https://www.hifa.org/dgroups-rss/construyendo-una-oms-para-la-gente

Spanish version also forthcoming in *Medicina Social* 2020, 13(2).

German version:
https://www.bukopharma.de/index.php/de/8-aktuelles/361-who-fuer-menschen

Anne-Emanuelle Birn