PHM-Exch> Margarita Posada, presente!

Todd Jailer todd at hesperian.org
Tue Jul 14 12:00:26 PDT 2020

I am sorry to pass along the news of the tragic passing of our compañera
Margarita Posada, a leader of PHM El Salvador and of the Salvadoran social
movements for the right to health. That her death was a violation of the
right to health should make us recommit to achieving Health for All, Now!

Here is a quick English translation of the notice published in
ElSalvador.com Another article appears in Diario Latino,
https://www.diariocolatino.com/margarita-posada-deja-legado-en-la-defensa-de-los-derechos-humanos/

Margarita Posada, presente!

Margarita Posada, a health activist, died in an ambulance after being
refused admittance at hospitals

Her family went to several public hospitals requesting she be given medical
attention, but she was turned down at every one. Posada was coordinator of
El Salvador’s NGO coalition, the National Health Forum.

Margarita Posada was an activist who tirelessly raised the flag of the
right to health. However, on Monday morning, she died in an ambulance
because no public hospital would receive her to give her the medical
attention she needed.

Margarita suffered from cancer, and her condition had worsened for several days.

Sources close to the family stated that early Monday morning her
health declined markedly compared to previous days, so they decided to
call an ambulance to transfer her to a hospital.

They went to several public hospitals pleading to be treated, but she
was not received in any. The last one they went to was the Women's
Hospital, but she was turned away there as well. A few minutes later,
she died in the ambulance.

Martín, her spouse, pleaded for his wife to be cared for: "If we had
not wasted time in reception, perhaps she would not have died."

“Margarita died in an ambulance, seeking medical attention, a human
right for which she fought tirelessly, and which was denied to her.
She was not received at any of the hospitals where she sought the care
she needed. How much cruelty exists in our reality, ”wrote Ángel
Ibarra, former Minister of the Environment.

    “We regret to report the death of our coordinator Margarita
Posada, tireless social leader, committed to communities, a brave
woman who fought for the most vulnerable.

    The vanquished will never surrender! Compañera Margarita will live forever!

    - National Health Forum (@FNS_OficialSV) July 13, 2020

Posada, 68, was director of the Association of Salvadoran Community
Promoters (Aprocsal) and coordinator of the National Health Forum
(FSN).

Several social organizations have expressed their regret over the
death of Posada, whom they identify as "a great fighter for the
defense of human rights."

Margarita Posada was part of the guerrilla of the Farabundo Martí
Front for National Liberation (FMLN), as a cadre of the Popular
Liberation Forces (FPL), an organization that she joined at the age of
17, according to an interview published by the digital newspaper *The
Lighthouse.*

--
Todd Jailer, managing editor
*Hesperian Health Guides*