PHM-Exch> resisting privatization: Shutting Profit out of Lab Services in Alberta

Leigh K. Haynes lkamoreh at gmx.com
Tue Jun 16 02:06:21 PDT 2020

Hi everyone,

PHM-North America has been collecting stories from around the world of movements that have come together to protect their public health services. We hope that through sharing these stories we can learn from each other to reinforce and inspire our own work towards health for all.

In 2013, the provincial government of Alberta, Canada began a process to outsource lab services of the Alberta Health Services to a private company. In response to this action, Friends of Medicare, which works to promote the protection and expansion of public health services across Alberta, began to organize a campaign to stop this from happening. The campaign brought together frontline workers, unions, and community members, and also worked to pressure politicians as elections loomed.

We spoke to Sandra Azocar, executive director of Friends of Medicare, about the campaign. You can listen to her talk about the campaign and what led to its success, as well as read more about the campaign, here: https://phm-na.org/resisting-privatization/canada-shutting-profit-out-of-lab-services-in-alberta/

You can read more about this project and listen to the previous stories here: phm-na.org/resisting-privatization

-Leigh & Baj