PHM-Exch> Coronavirus

Todd Jailer todd at hesperian.org
Fri Mar 6 15:29:31 PST 2020

Hi Claudio, Here's a note from Hesperian on the dealing with the social
determinants of health and the coronavirus in the US. Perhaps you might
post it on the PHM listserv.

You can use this on-line link as well:
https://hesperian.org/2020/03/05/coronavirus/

And here's the link to our COVID-19 Fact Sheet:
https://en.hesperian.org/hhg/Coronavirus in English. Spanish will be up
shortly, and Kreyol and French next week.

Stay well, Todd Jailer, Hesperian

*************

Coronavirus

Coronavirus is all over the news and people are looking for how-to,
actionable information on surviving the pandemic. But limiting advice
and actions to improving individual or community hygiene is only washing
our hands of the problem. To successfully defeat the looming epidemic,
we have to change a health system that places profit over health. We
have to recognize and address the political, social and economic factors
–the social determinants of health -- that govern how health or illness
moves through our communities.

Most of what to do immediately about coronavirus (or COVID-19) is
already known: Wash your hands; don’t touch your face so often; stay
home if you are sick. Clean surfaces often that are touched by multiple
people. Since the virus is mostly transmitted by respiration, cough or
sneeze into your elbow, wear a mask if you are sick or around sick
people, or stay about 6 feet away from people you speak with if you
think the virus is active in your area. (See our COVID-19 Fact Sheet for
more details.)

While individual action is important, it will not stop an epidemic, only
collective action will. We have to start acting like the connections
among us are not routes to transmit disease, but the channels through
which we can defeat it. There are many actions and policies we can
demand to lower the possibility that COVID-19 becomes epidemic in the
United States:

1) Guaranteed income for people affected by the virus.

Most of us live paycheck to paycheck and cannot afford to stay home from
work without pay. Quarantines are difficult enough for people without
making them worse by causing financial disaster.

The federal government has refused to require employers to pay sick
leave, and even states that do -- California requires only 3 days a year
– would not cover the time necessary for your quarantine, much less if
your quarantine is because someone else in your household is sick. And
how would people with the lowest wages survive, those in service or
production jobs who cannot telecommute (as our health advisors so
blithely suggest), if their employers shut down?If schools are closed to
prevent disease from spreading, how will adults stay home with children
and not lose their jobs or income?

In places like the Bay Area, where housing costs take the lion’s share
of monthly expenses, it may also be necessary to declare mortgage
holidays and a moratorium on evictions.

2) Free access to testing and treatment

The cost of health care already stops people from getting timely testing
and treatment for health problems. With coronavirus, our health system
is a prescription for an epidemic.

The CDC bungled producing testing kits for COVID-19, and hospitals still
have a shortage. People who have been tested are being charged thousands
of dollars. When asked about treatment costs, HHS Secretary Azar refused
to say treatment would be affordable: “We can’t control that price
because we need the private sector to invest."

If the US continues on the health-care-for-profit path, it insures the
epidemic will be more widespread and more severe. Free access to testing
and treatment for coronavirus is essential, as it is for other health
conditions. Demand access to care now and in November don’t vote for
anyone who doesn’t support Medicare for All – they’re basically telling
you that saving your life is too expensive.

3) Prioritize reaching the most vulnerable communities

People of color and low-income communities have more exposure to disease
and less access to health care facilities. We can’t perpetuate this
injustice in our coronavirus response.

People already sick, especially those with breathing problems, have a
higher chance of getting severely ill and dying from COVID-19.
Environmental racism places factories and freeways disproportionately in
poor communities of color, leading, for example, to 20% more asthma
among African Americans. By prioritizing reaching communities
marginalized by the medical system with necessary supplies, testing and
treatment, we can slow the epidemic and begin to undo the deadly
relationship of ill health, inequity and injustice.

These are all achievable demands. To win them, we have to organize
pressure on our local, state and national governments from our
neighborhood organizations, unions, churches, professional groups, and
within the political parties that are contending for our votes this
election year.

We can also organize locally to care for each other:

--Reorient your Neighborhood Watch or Earthquake Preparedness group to
check up on your neighbors. Find out who is sick and who needs help.

--Expand the reach of Meals on Wheels and other such programs to feed
those in quarantine.

--Volunteer and train others to be community health outreach workers to
help answer questions and prepare your neighborhood for the coronavirus.

-- Support “gig workers,” the human backbone of food and supplies order
and delivery apps, in their struggles to be paid for the time and
disinfection suppliesthey need to safely support people stuck at home in
quarantine.

What really stands out in the face of an epidemic like coronavirus is
our leaders’ antagonism to the concept of “the public good” -- unless
it’s profitable, it just shouldn’t exist. Our public health systems have
been weakened by millions of dollars of budget cuts, an opposition to
regulation of both pollution and greed, and the refusal to build or
maintain common infrastructure. If we are going to survive coronavirus
with a minimum of deaths, we need to replace our health-for-profit
system with one that recognizes that health is a human right.

--
Todd Jailer, Managing Editor

Hesperian Health Guides
Knowledge for action.