PHM-Exch> Fwd: [general at escr-net.org] New Report on Private Actors in Health Services: Towards a human rights impact assessment framework

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Feb 10 21:16:32 PST 2020

From: Ashina Mtsumi <Ashina at gi-escr.org>

We are delighted to share with you a new report: Private Actors in Health
Services: Towards a human rights impact assessment
<https://gi-escr.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bda9d51dd375e8043ecb8ed55&id=aed115cea8&e=9875b57077>.
It unpacks States’ human rights obligations in the context of the
increasing private sector involvement in healthcare, particularly health
financing and provision. It presents a preliminary human rights impact
assessment framework for evaluating the consequences of private actor
activity on the right to health.

The report defines and explains the different forms of private involvement
in the provision of health goods and services and financing. It analyses
the different State obligations under the right to health, setting out
general standards and applying them to situations of private involvement.  The
report also establishes the aspects of accountability that States need to
put in place for the enjoyment of the right to health, including
regulation, transparency, participation, monitoring, review and remedies.

The report was co-published by the Global Initiative for Economic, Social
and Cultural Rights (GI-ESCR
<https://gi-escr.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bda9d51dd375e8043ecb8ed55&id=058b8a4075&e=9875b57077>),
the Initiative for Social and Economic Rights (ISER
<https://gi-escr.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bda9d51dd375e8043ecb8ed55&id=eeedcb060e&e=9875b57077>)
and the University of Essex Human Rights Centre Clinic
<https://gi-escr.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bda9d51dd375e8043ecb8ed55&id=a68615fa3f&e=9875b57077>.
It forms part of the critical scrutiny of the increasing privatisation of
services, including education, health and water. Various organisations,
including GI-ESCR <https://www.gi-escr.org/> and ISER
<https://www.iser-uganda.org/>, have been part of this work over the last
years, which led the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights to
issue a resolution <https://www.achpr.org/sessions/resolutions?id=444> on
privatisation in education and health in May 2019.

We welcome any feedback towards refining the impact assessment framework.
Please contact us with your suggestions.

Find the full report attached and through this link:
https://www.gi-escr.org/publications/private-actors-in-health-services-towards-a-human-rights-impact-assessment-framework
.

For updates on our work on the right to health, subscribe to our mailing
list here <http://bit.ly/PrivHealth>: http://bit.ly/PrivHealth

*Ashina Mtsumi*
Policy and Legal Officer, Global Initiative for Economic, Social and
Cultural Rights
+254717296319 | ashina at gi-escr.org
www.gi-escr.org <http://instagram.com/giescr/>