PHM-Exch> Next steps for the Women’s Global Strike March 8

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Tue Jan 28 19:17:51 PST 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Viviana Osorio Pérez <vosorio at escr-net.org>

Unsubscribe
<http://tracking.cividesk.net/tracking/click?d=7AeGIpEEhyrj22mw0sH4VZTKr0Yr_aqtd7ixcy34f_fsx5912DZRkd5CBIYTpdrsJbQ8ttH6YYqzqaGZCCISJQF5LGqUYsA5Yj89vzgtQ6MNQf3hDg46yPKTSIO3IuV-b1fyKiIUHvLzDnLhHJXM6ww9CW4XDvOMvZGVV61y_gr2Rm2CnbizEDMInU3ArlFa_q_gmJz8NAYFfaAidFbiXpNgCvrdWLPRePSSTv89KHy30>
View in your browser
<http://tracking.cividesk.net/tracking/click?d=PJ0rBHDlT3V289-apWinBBPXKHY2NCBZoqBkAuZAVEHuzhrdnY42FvazpkyJjwJn5mLJ0eGHRGWkdJ2-S99n9xFFWEmmdHYfBWIl04uENL22FJ82wX2Hzcrrbixy0wKQN-qpWpQXAC8Ev5eVkKiegd2e5t2S6G3EG6NaPFzgfKHz0>
             Next steps for the Women’s Global Strike

Dear ESCR-Net members,

We are very excited to see *8 March and the Women’s Global Strike* around
the corner. We encourage all ESCR-Net members to join the campaign and take
leadership in your countries to promote it.

*You are all invited to participate in the following three immediate
actions:*

1. *Inviting edits to the political statement (Deadline February 5)*

2. *Inviting nominations for national/regional focal points and Global
Steering Group (January 31)* This call will remain open for countries and
regions where coordination is still needed)

3. *Join us for the second opened call of the campaign*, on 20 February,
9:00 am NY time (Find your time here
<http://tracking.cividesk.net/tracking/click?d=gZUWER2xsYGZDX3i8n_9TWBTDNdR3HPnXSX3u3NWENz4ZjmiKMH4yuH6DZWfOk9cK2oJ0cgOG9y7sHXQOuQahOsgS1OD7kp4xa__AJzCPi-2AIEP1SWfz-Q5zN1J9UVB29nc4oUS8jg6p7dG90YgdVr5EzMeSMF3ONHvOXJWPck297JCjMO5l52OQ36eGhSsVIU51Vbw1yeTkc1OpUbEH1c1>).
Link for the call: https://zoom.us/j/4207858898 (Meeting ID: 420 785 8898)

In case you have any question or are interested in the campaign, please
reach out to me (vosorio at escr-net.org
<http://tracking.cividesk.net/tracking/click?d=gZUWER2xsYGZDX3i8n_9TWBTDNdR3HPnXSX3u3NWENz4ZjmiKMH4yuH6DZWfOk9cK2oJ0cgOG9y7sHXQOuQahOsgS1OD7kp4xa__AJzCPi_Q-aUVHeAwFEd2XV6b85frxa8lOaKMEoYWbzhNgidb64rCtXwExmqhn0KxEc3QeXHKR02_Ti8Hik3OG-3z765-EzIfnSI4sitMlP8dFamMBOE1>)
or Esther de la Rosa (edelarosa at escr-net.org
<http://tracking.cividesk.net/tracking/click?d=gZUWER2xsYGZDX3i8n_9TWBTDNdR3HPnXSX3u3NWENz4ZjmiKMH4yuH6DZWfOk9cK2oJ0cgOG9y7sHXQOuQahOsgS1OD7kp4xa__AJzCPi8SZTrhSzfXscwSc5csnkAKgW80yxaGhIZseAzvVRBLx_dvYfYcrdT2E4aJXl7XnIMCfeqwU_NfsDF2j-9DYAFZb0DCDA51xSvqrrg0dDsS2_E1>
)

Here all the information:

*1. Inviting edits to the political statement*

We are very honoured to have over 80 organisations and more individuals as
part of our campaign, and cannot wait to mobilise with all of you worldwide!

Our political statement has unified those of us calling for structural
transformations, opposing neoliberal capitalism and systemic oppression.
Yet we also see there are areas to make our statement stronger and more
inclusive.

We are therefore *inviting inclusive edits* to the political statement of
the Women’s Global Strike campaign, from now until 5 February 2020. We ask
that edits be made to the English version via this Google document, so that
we can then work together with our translators to update the 7 other
language translations. If this Google document is not accessible to you,
please send your suggested changes via email to Tetet Lauron, our campaign
coordinator, at tetetneralauron at gmail.com
<http://tracking.cividesk.net/tracking/click?d=gZUWER2xsYGZDX3i8n_9TWBTDNdR3HPnXSX3u3NWENz4ZjmiKMH4yuH6DZWfOk9cK2oJ0cgOG9y7sHXQOuQahOsgS1OD7kp4xa__AJzCPi_Oheh3q87ZLzFkBWUKNAqDkLJJ5aQuUQ6ed-TyOYFvsqUuvcoXo3wkl7Mp3V_om0P1NdnPmlG9ZCh4YakfHFTY9911ANwoLGbg1VQKGE0kslM1>
.

What do we mean by “inclusive edits”? We welcome changes that give
recognition to more identities, struggles and demands, but would be
cautious with suggestions that may weaken our critique of inequality and
injustice. We also wish to maintain the spirit of our four core demands
which were agreed upon in consultation with many feminist and labour
organisations. We do encourage adding to the demands or expanding on them
as they do connect strongly with the existing work that all of you joining
this campaign are doing.

*Some of the proposed edits include: *

> Removing or modifying the reference to national GDPs as the GDP itself is
a problematic measure of the economy that focuses on profit
> Additional paragraph highlighting multiple and intersecting forms of
discrimination
> Strengthening our critique of the climate crisis and call for climate
justice

We hope this process is clear to all and look forward to your suggestions.

------------------------------

*2. Inviting nominations for national/regional focal points and Global
Steering Group *

With so many of you taking the lead in organising ahead of 8 March, we’d
like to propose a *Global Steering Group* to better coordinate our
campaign.

*The structure would be as follows: *

> up to 2 global organisations
> 1-2 national focal point per country whose contact we can share for
others in the same country to reach out to
> 1-2 focal point per region, allowing separate break off where needed,
e.g. separate coordination for Latin America and for Caribbean

*We would ask the national focal points to:*

> provide contact information that we can add to the website, for others in
the same country to reach out to
> coordinate with other groups organising in your country for deciding the
actions that you will collectively take (whether you organise a rally, a
meeting, wear red, withdraw from domestic work, etc) and inform the rest of
the Global Steering Group
> share some key messages, reasons for striking, issues etc with the
regional and global focal points to centralise and share in our
communications plans
> Share and compile news, photos, videos about our strike

*We would ask the regional focal points: *

>to help collate the information of the national level actions and
messages, and coordinate any region-specific messages and actions
> where feasible and possible, help with translations in sharing the
campaign materials

We ask that the global organisations joining the Global Steering Group take
the lead in overall coordination and communication support.

We also ask that all of the Global Steering Group start to have regular
calls and communications weekly throughout February.

As we had shared our suggestion for this structure in the last two campaign
calls already, we are pleased to share that we already have some volunteers
for national focal points in Hong Kong, Nepal, Philippines, Thailand,
Vietnam, Colombia, Argentina, Trinidad and Tobago, and the Pacific.
ESCR-Net is also volunteering to be one of the two lead global
organisations, and FEMNET and APWLD will be regional focal points for
Africa and Asia regions respectively.

If you would like to nominate your organisation to be national/regional
focal point or be part of the Global Steering Group, please write to our
campaigns coordinator Tetet Lauron: tetetneralauron at gmail.com
<http://tracking.cividesk.net/tracking/click?d=gZUWER2xsYGZDX3i8n_9TWBTDNdR3HPnXSX3u3NWENz4ZjmiKMH4yuH6DZWfOk9cK2oJ0cgOG9y7sHXQOuQahOsgS1OD7kp4xa__AJzCPi_Oheh3q87ZLzFkBWUKNAqDkLJJ5aQuUQ6ed-TyOYFvspvvw5Yk286sOTC2U5bwpH22fG_jJD6RJwgqVzhMyzpcwOyr92Sk7Ysltp1lB7M_w_Y1>
by 31 January, sharing who will be the main contact person for the Global
Steering Group, and what contact details to share publicly on the website.

Warm wishes,

*Viviana Osorio Perez*
*Program Coordinator for the Women and ESCR Working Group*