PHM-Exch> Article: India is Not a 'VegetarianCountry' Like the EAT-Lancet Report Would Have Us Believe (contd)

Alison Linnecar alinnecar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 06:00:02 PST 2019

Dear Claudio and PHM,

Thank you for all these exchanges. As a pumpkin (and tomato) grower I am
most interested in the variety of locally produced foods, so many of which
are being displaced by imported plastic-wrapped packages of commercial
snack foods. The waste created is phenomenal.

So I am taking this opportunity to share the latest Green Feeding
documents, including the flyer produced with Extinction Rebellion/XR in the
UK. XR is not only about people glueing themselves to trains or other
people such as politicians. In the UK it is also a series of professional
hubs such as the Doctors' Hub. The lactation consultants and mother support
group members in this hub produced the Green Feeding flyer, with
suggestions for action in the UK, which IBFAN-GIFA then adapted for action
internationally.

Our message is Start Right for climate action from birth.  We need to
promote Green Feeding right from the start for healthier babies, healthier
mothers and a healthier planet.

Green Feeding from the start concerns infants and young children from 0 to
36 months, and sets the pattern for avoiding ultra-processed and
ultra-promoted industrial products, and instead for eating food produced
locally by sustainable agriculture.  Green Feeding goes beyond infant
formula and includes formulas for older babies and commercial complementary
foods.

But this is a huge challenge because, as shown by the report by Save the
Children in the UK , for every baby born in this world, the baby milk and
food companies spend UK£36 or 42 Euros on advertising:
https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/news/media-centre/press-releases/leading-milk-formula-companies-spend-p36-on-marketing-for-every-
In this way these companies have also created a huge and expanding market
for products for the age group after infant formula: these Follow-up milks,
FUMs, and Growing-up Milks, GUMS, have the greatest advertising
expenditure:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/917797/baby-milk-brands-by-ad-spend-united-kingdom-uk/
Yet the World Health Organization has deemed them as 'not necessary and
unsuitable'. Moreover, research shows that these products have the largest
carbon footprints as well as heavy water footprints.

The updated Green Feeding documents are here and the list includes the link
to the British Medical Journal Editorial "Support for breastfeeding is an
environmental imperative":

   - *New *Extinction Rebellion flyer on Breastfeeding – Green Feeding
   <https://www.gifa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/xr_breastfeeding_A5_4_pages_international_2019.pdf>
   in English (Dec 2, 2019)
   - *Revised* Green Feeding Trailer
   <https://www.gifa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/2019-Green-Feeding-Trailer-Nov-18th.pdf>,
   in English, 2 pages (Nov 18, 2019)
   - Green Feeding Europe and Worldwide 2019
   <https://www.gifa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2019-Green-Feeding-Europe-Worldwide-Dec2.pdf>
   in English, 21 pages (Dec 2, 2019)
   - Green Feeding Key messages
   <https://www.gifa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2019-Green-Feeding-Key-Messages-Dec2.pdf>
   2019 in English, 2 pages (Dec 2, 2019)
   - Green Feeding References and Resources 2019
   <https://www.gifa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2019-Green-Feeding-References-and-Resources-Dec.pdf>,
   5 pages (Dec 2, 2019)
   - Green Feeding Canada
   <https://www.gifa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/2019-Green-Feeding-Canada-June.pdf>
   in English, 10 pages (June 20, 2019)
   - Green Feeding Messages Clés 2019
   <https://www.gifa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/2019-Green-Feeding-Key-messages-FRENCH-16oct2019.pdf>
   en français, 2 pages (16 oct 2019)
   - Support for breastfeeding is an environmental imperative
   <https://www.bmj.com/content/367/bmj.l5646> Joffe N et al, BMJ 2 October
   2019

Wishing you all happy and healthy eating over the festive period!

Best regards,

Alison

Alison Linnecar
Convenor, IBFAN global working group on  chemical and microbiological
contamination of infant feeding products and Green Feeding - action on
climate change <https://www.gifa.org/international/green-feeding/>