PHM-Exch> [PHM NEWS] PHM Uganda Newsletter: Recent and Future Events & Opportunities

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Dec 20 00:40:54 PST 2019

Season greetings from PHM-Uganda.

We would like to thank you for the unwavering support, solidarity  and time
you have accorded us on several engagements through your effort
contributions and your diverse capacities. Indeed 2019 has been a super
amazing and productive year for PHM-UGANDA, an activity compact year with
many positive changes in the mix and opportunities for work through
collaborations at national, region and global level.

A number of new organizations have come on board to join the struggle for
better health. Multiple papers and articles have been published to widen
our knowledge base and disseminate information as part of our advocacy
strategy, and  a mechanism to document our work in Uganda on diverse health
issues.

Before we close 2019, we have been engaged in a couple of events from
August through December 2019 which we have documented through our
Newsletter;

1. UHC Day 2019, *"Keep The Promise"* How much have you educated/informed
your community about UHC and the UN High Level Meeting Political
Declaration on UHC? Find it in this Newsletter;

2. Health cooperation, What Transpired At  "Beyond aid" - the Kampala
Initiative? (How civil society can challenge the reality of Aid and its
shortcomings?).

      3. COPASAH Symposium 2019. *New Delhi*

      4. Civil society's role in access to medicines *(Where is our space
in enhancing **sensitive  public health TRIPS Flexibilities in **African
Region Intellectual Property     Organization (ARIPO)?*

     5. Neglected Tropical Diseases, HEPS-Uganda's snake bites campaign
with HAI, Ministry of Health and WHO to end this seemingly silent threat to
life.

     6. Strengthening Education and Training in  Sexual Reproductive Health
and Rights  (SET-SRHR) Training (embracing transformative approaches both
in gender and age perspectives to challenge discriminatory socially
constructed norms that impede access to Sexual Reproductive Health Rights
and Services)
     7. World Bank meeting on the mid-term review on the implementation of
the Result Based Financing (RBF/URMCHIP) mechanism in Uganda.

     8. IPHU Training Workshop  “Struggle for health and Access to
affordable medicines” Cape Town

     9. Our position on GMO Mosquitoes,  (Response from Dr Danny Gotto)

     10. Petition 17, Work of Civil society (SEATINI and CEFROHT
challenging the 2015 PPP Act in Constitutional Court)

*More events, and our latest publications are available therein the
newsletter.** Link to the newsletter
<https://phmovement.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/PHM-NEWSLETER-Aug-Nov-pdf_compressed.pdf>*
(you can also share the link on your respective organization websites)

On the behalf of the PHM-Uganda coordinating team.

Michael Ssemakula

Health Rights Researcher & Advocate

Human Rights Research Documentation Centre (HURIC)
Email: michaelssemakula5 at gmail.com