PHM-Exch> Grassroots organizations and SDGs: crucial for inclusion and accountability

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sat Jun 15 18:57:08 PDT 2019

From: Walter Flores <waltergflores at gmail.com>

* Grassroots organizations and SDGs: crucial for inclusion
and accountability*

Dear colleagues. I would like to share a recent article that my co-author
Jeannie Samuels and I, published at the British Medical Journal. Below an
extract of our article:

“An accountability gap exists within the SDG framework. Grassroots
organisations are one way in which that can be plugged, but this will not
happen spontaneously. These organisations should be supported directly and
through intermediary organisations. In this way they can establish
innovative, sustainable mechanisms that allow them to interact with state
institutions…The practical experiences gained show how grassroots
organisations can help the most marginalised people to play a central role
in implementing the SDGs and promoting social and economic rights.”

The article is open access. It can be downloaded through this link:
https://www.bmj.com/content/365/bmj.l2269.full?ijkey=oKMyDvn7lJCTYVa&keytype=ref