PHM-Exch> [PHM NEWS] World Health Day 2019 Protect Health Workers and Remove Barriers

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Apr 8 07:25:57 PDT 2019

From: pmrs <pmrs at pmrs.ps>

*World Health Day 2019 Protect Health Workers and Remove Barriers *

On the occasion of World Health Day 2019, the Palestinian Medical Relief
Society (PMRS) pays homage to the all medical personnel who risk their
safety and their lives to carry out their duty of care. More specifically,
we salute all Palestinian medics and first aid volunteers and we mourn
those we lost, most recently PMRS volunteer Sajed Mizher and, before him,
within the span of a year, PMRS volunteer Razan Al Najjar and first aid
providers Musa Abu Hassaneen and Abdallah Al Qutati.

This year’s theme “health for all”, is at the very heart of PMRS’s mandate
and is the principle that motivated our slain colleagues to put themselves
on the line to help their fellow human beings. When we talk about health
for all, about access to health, we cannot forget that safety is a vital
part of it, including the safety of medical providers and emblems,
protected under international law. We also cannot forget that blockade and
occupation are among the main barriers to access to health for the
Palestinian people.

On World Health Day 2019, PMRS reiterates its commitment to working towards
equal access to health for all Palestinians and calls on its partners and
on the international community to exert the necessary political pressure
for the removal of Israeli-imposed barriers preventing the achievement of
this goal.