PHM-Exch> (no subject)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Apr 3 07:29:08 PDT 2019

From: Sarojini N. <sarojinipr at gmail.com>

Sharing our article
A feminist exploration of ‘populationism’: engaging contemporary forms of
population contr
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0966369X.2018.1553859>ol
published in  Journal *Gender, Place & Culture
<https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/cgpc20/current>, *A Journal of Feminist
Geography.
Sarojini

Abstract: Following the International Conference on Population and
Development in 1994 in Cairo, which prompted a discursive shift from
population control to reproductive health and rights in international
development, policy experts and scholars have relegated population control
to the realm of history. This presents a unique challenge to feminist
critics who seek to identify manifestations of population control in the
present. In this article, we consider the potential of ‘populationism’ as
terminology that may assist in clarifying varied new manifestations of
population control. We explicate three interrelated populationist
strategies that focus on optimizing numbers (demo), spaces (geo), and life
itself (bio). Through our elaboration of these three populationisms and
their interaction, we seek to inspire feminist, intersectional responses to
the pernicious social, economic and environmental problems that
technocratic populationist interventions obscure.

<https://www.tandfonline.com/keyword/Biopopulationism>, demopopulationism
<https://www.tandfonline.com/keyword/Demopopulationism>, geopopulationism
<https://www.tandfonline.com/keyword/Geopopulationism>, population control
<https://www.tandfonline.com/keyword/Population+Control>, populationism
<https://www.tandfonline.com/keyword/Populationism>

Authors: *Rajani Bhatia*
<https://www.tandfonline.com/author/Bhatia%2C+Rajani>,Jade S. Sasser
<https://www.tandfonline.com/author/Sasser%2C+Jade+S>,Diana Ojeda
<https://www.tandfonline.com/author/Ojeda%2C+Diana>,Anne Hendrixson
<https://www.tandfonline.com/author/Hendrixson%2C+Anne>,Sarojini Nadimpally
<https://www.tandfonline.com/author/Nadimpally%2C+Sarojini> &Ellen E. Foley
<https://www.tandfonline.com/author/Foley%2C+Ellen+E>

Received 14 Dec 2017, Accepted 27 Jul 2018, Published online: 03 Apr 2019