PHM-Exch> Resisting privatization: Mobilizing against PPPs in Chhattisgarh

Leigh Haynes lkamoreh at gmx.com
Wed Feb 20 02:06:44 PST 2019

Hi everyone,

PHM-North America is collecting stories from around the world of movements that have organized successful movements to protect their public health services. We hope that through sharing our stories we can learn from each other to reinforce and inspire our own work towards health for all.

In 2012, the government of the state of Chhattisgarh in India proposed a PPP plan that would outsource labs and diagnostic services to private providers. We spoke with Sulakshana Nanda and Chandrakant, with translation support from Neelanjana Das, of Jan Swasthya Abhiyan (JSA, PHM-India) who participated in organizing a campaign against this effort at privatization by the government which lead to the government pulling the policy.

You can listen to Sulakshana and Chandrakant talk about the campaign and what led to its success, as well as read more about the campaign, here: http://bit.ly/2SdMrvR <http://bit.ly/2SdMrvR>

You can read more about this project and listen to the previous stories from England and Sweden here: bit.ly/resistingprivatization <http://bit.ly/resistingprivatization>

Please contact us if you would like to work with us to share your movement’s success story in stopping privatization of health services or to connect us with folks you know who might be interested.

Thank you!

In Solidarity,
Baj Mukhopadhyay (PHM-Canada)
Leigh Haynes (PHM-USA)