PHM-Exch> [PHM NEWS] PHM Sri lanka

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Dec 17 17:30:43 PST 2018

*COUNTRY ACTIVITY REPORT OF PEOPLE’S HEALTH MOVEMENT , SRI LANKA (PHM – SL)*

*(FROM PHA 3 (SOUTH AFRICA) TO PHA4  (BANGLADESH)*

*Nature of PHM – SL*

PHM – SL is a movement affiliated with more than 50 organizations.  There
are no appointed office bearers nor bank accounts.  Generally, the convenor
calls meetings; any affiliated organization also has the right to call a
meeting.  We have no Constitution, but follow the traditions.  The
Sarvodaya Movement works as its facilitator.  Dr Vinya S. Ariyaratne,
President of the Sarvodaya Movement gives PHM – SL the required and proper
leadership in its activities.

PHM – SL’s main body has monthly meetings on a regular basis.  During the
monthly meetings, seminars on current issues are held.  PHM – SL has three
branches namely in Kandy, Badulla and in Moneragala.  The Kandy coordinator
is Service Civil International while the Badulla Branch is coordinated by
Future in Our Hands and the Moneragala Branch is coordinated by Uva
Wellassa Women Farmers Organization.  From time to time, they submit
reports and attend meetings in Colombo.

The following are the activities we have implemented between the period
between PHA3 (South Africa) and PHA4 (Bangladesh) :-

(1)   Celebration of Ms Princy Mangalika for her Red Ribbon  Felicitation
Award in the USA in 2012.

(2)   Women’s Rights Advocacy Programme

(3)   Launching of Global Health Watch 3 in 2013

(4)   Women’s Day – Voice of Voiceless on Stage

(5)   Symposium on Religious Reconciliation for Peace

(6)   Symposium on Human Rights, Independence of Judiciary and Health Rights

(7)   Launching of Global Health Watch 4

(8)   Seminar on Chronic Kidney Disease

(9)   Seminar on Health Ethics

(10)Seminar on Good Governance and Health

(11) Seminars of Indigenous Doctors

(12) Seminars of Open Government Partnership

(13) Discussion with Hon. Members of Parliament about their proposal of the
20th Amendment to the Sri Lanka Constitution.

*Seminar on Pricing of Medicinal Drugs*

A vast of number of activities have been conducted for the inclusion of the
right to health into the Sri Lanka Constitution.

Prepared by Sirimal Peiris

*PEOPLE’S HEALTH MOVEMENT*

*SRI LANKA*