PHM-Exch> [PHM NEWS] Statement on sexual harassment

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Dec 16 12:05:56 PST 2018

From: Sarojini N. <sarojinipr at gmail.com>

*Statement from the People’s Health Movement (PHM) against Sexual
Harassment*

*In Solidarity*

*David Sanders, Bridget, Sarojini and Chiara*

*Statement from the People’s Health Movement (PHM) against Sexual
Harassment*

We, the People’s Health Movement (PHM), are deeply distressed and concerned
about the complaints of sexual harassment from a few women colleagues
attending the fourth People’s Health Assembly in Savar, Bangladesh. The
pervasiveness of sexual harassment indicates the distance that remains to
be traversed towards achieving equality, justice, and the creation of safe
convening, working, and living environments.  As the PHM, our goal of
Health for All encompasses all of these and we stand united in condemning
all sexual harassment and violence.

There is often an assumption that spaces populated by progressive
movements, networks and organisations are free of incidents of sexual
harassment but clearly that is not the case. We also perceive sexual
harassment as a serious flaw in our efforts to organise the Assembly in an
environment that respects women and enables participants, who experience
sexual harassment to report it without fear or judgement. Reflecting on the
Assembly which was held in the midst of local political crisis (shifting
the Assembly venue overnight, and other VISA related crises etc.,), we
admit that mechanisms to report and respond to incidents of sexual
harassment were not in place.

We salute the courage of those, who have faced sexual harassment have
called out the perpetrators of harassment at the Assembly; we extend our
wholehearted support to them and express our deep sense of shock at the
impunity these men have availed of. We stand by all those who have
experienced sexual harassment and violence in their lives and implore all
organisations, networks, individuals who are part of the PHM and other
progressive movements to strongly denounce such acts and behaviour. We
unequivocally share their concerns and support their complaints and follow
up action towards justice.

The deep nexus between power, inequalities and male hegemony in normalising
and condoning sexual harassment and sexual violence must be confronted and
eliminated. We extend our full, unconditional support and solidarity with
all survivors and firmly commit to undertake urgent measures within PHM (at
country, regional and global levels) to end sexual harassment, violence and
impunity.

Attachments area