PHM-Exch> PAHO/WHO Equity, Health and Human Development

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Sep 2 02:14:18 PDT 2018

*Measuring health inequalities in the context of sustainable* *development*
*goals*

*Authors: Ahmad Reza Hosseinpoor, Nicole Bergen, Anne Schlotheuber and John
Grove*

*Source: Bull World Health Organ 2018;96:654–659*

*Published online: June, 2018*

EN. Transforming our world: the 2030 agenda for sustainable development
promotes the improvement of health equity, which entails ongoing monitoring
of health inequalities. The World Health Organization has developed a
multistep approach to health inequality monitoring consisting of: (i)
determining the scope of monitoring; (ii) obtaining data; (iii) analysing
data; (iv) reporting results; and (v) implementing changes. Technical
considerations at each step have implications for the results and
conclusions of monitoring and subsequent remedial actions. This paper
presents some technical considerations for developing or strengthening
health inequality monitoring, with the aim of encouraging more robust,
systematic and transparent practices. We discuss key aspects of measuring
health inequalities that are relevant to steps (i) and (iii). We highlight
considerations related to the selection, measurement and categorization of
dimensions of health inequality, as well as disaggregation of health data
and calculation of summary measures of inequality. Inequality monitoring is
linked to health and non-health aspects of the 2030 agenda for sustainable
development, and strong health inequality monitoring practices can help to
inform equity-oriented policy directives.