PHM-Exch> [PHM NEWS] Gender thematic circle

Claudio Schuftan schuftan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 02:43:51 PDT 2018

From: Sarojini N. <sarojinipr at gmail.com>

We are moving the i
nitiative  beyond PHA 4
strengthen the Gender thematic circle. Please do circulate it widely among
your networks.

The Fourth People’s Health Assembly (PHA 4)
<http://www.phmovement.org/en/resources/pha> in Bangladesh will bring
together civil society organisations and networks, social movements,
academics and other stakeholders from around the globe to share experiences
for mutual learning and to develop joint strategies to  resist neoliberal
approaches and transform the politics of health.

In advance of and beyond PHA4, PHM wants to reanimate its campaign work
around “Gender Justice and Health”.  Some country circles and the global
secretariat had initiated this campaign and have been trying to strengthen
and expand it since 2012. However, this work has been uneven and not
sustained.  The Assembly in November offers us an opportunity to
reinvigorate the campaign. Those of you who are going to be in Bangladesh
for the Assembly as well as those who are not, but would be interested in
being part of the campaign, we  invite your ideas, inputs and support  in
taking forward this conversation, and campaign:

-     Towards bringing together women’s groups and movements at the PHA4 and
  building alliances with PHM country circles and networks work going
forward. *Can you suggest feminist organisations or gender activists in
your country or region that work on health issues and who we should invite
to this Assembly?*

-        Feminist reading and training resources for PHM activists to
reinforce that  patriarchal social relations are central to their practical
and intellectual work.. *Do you have training materials, case studies or
organisational experiences you can share with us that we can use to
cultivate a practice of making gender justice central to the work of PHM
activists?*

-        Build a two hour programme at PHA4 that acknowledges the
complexities of collaborations but is able to ensure that health struggles
display a commitment to gender justice. *Would you be willing to assist in
drafting a workshop programme for a two-hour session at PHA4, which helps
us strengthen the campaign on Gender Justice and Health within PHM?*I look
forward to hearing from you at sarojinipr at gmail.com  and to working
together to contribute to shaping this conversation within the PHM towards
truly advancing health for *all*.

Let me know if you need any further information about anything. I will be
happy to add/discuss. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

In solidarity,
Sarojini N
(On behalf of PHM Gender Circle)
with