PHM-Exch> [PHM NEWS] Statement on Palestine

Claudio Schuftan schuftan at gmail.com
Thu May 3 07:34:35 PDT 2018

*PHM Statement – condemnation of Israeli action against Palestinian people:*

The People’s Health Movement condemns in the strongest terms recent Israeli
violent actions against Palestinian people in the Gaza strip and in the
West Bank, in particular the unrestrained use of force, including lethal
means, against peaceful protesters, journalists and medical personnel. We
pay tribute to the health workers and medical personnel, many of whom who
are members of our movement, who are taking part in mass actions and are
providing first aid.

Over the past three weeks, Israeli forces have killed 33 civilians and
injured over 4,000 more, several of them critically, for protesting
peacefully against ongoing violations of their basic rights and demanding
self-determination. The use of lethal force against non-armed civilians
violates the most basic principles of international law, as does the use of
violence against journalists and medical personnel. Yet, one Palestinian
journalist was killed by Israeli fire in Gaza two weeks ago, while another
10 were seriously injured. Moreover, last week in Ramallah, Israeli forces
targeted Medical Relief and Red Crescent first aid providers and medical
teams, injuring 10 of them who had to be transported to the hospital.

In light of these extremely distressing events, we demand immediate
measures from international actors to pressure Israel to cease targeting
civilians and abide by its international obligations. We urge the
international community to hold Israel accountable for these crimes. We
resolve to strengthen our solidarity with our member organisations in
Palestine and with the Palestinian people because their people's liberation
will depend on their continuing struggle to end the occupation.

*On behalf of the PHM Steering Council*