PHM-Exch> Happening now: Global consultation on a comprehensive approach to addressing health inequities

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Apr 15 20:37:58 PDT 2018

From: Eric Friedman <Eric.Friedman at law.georgetown.edu>

Did you know that during the MDG era, the gap in the level of stunting -- a
key measure of whether a child is receiving adequate nutrition -- between
children in the wealthiest and poorest households actually *increased* in
more than one-third of more than 50 countries surveyed (
http://data.unicef.org/resources/progress-children-report/)? Health
inequality grew. Now, the Sustainable Development Goals promise to Leave No
One Behind. But will the world keep its promise?

The O'Neill Institute, in partnership with the Stop TB Partnership, USAID,
and others, has been strategizing around a comprehensive response to
persisting health inequities: developing National Health Equity Strategies. We
hope that governments and other partners, from local civil society
organizations to international organizations, will adopt this approach to
help achieve the core promise of the SDGs.

We invite you to be part of this effort. We are holding an online
consultation, which has just begun, on this approach and on a draft of
a guide that we have developed to assist countries interested in health
equity strategies. We look forward to extensive feedback and engagement in
this process to ensure that the guide is a valuable resource and to help
build interest in and momentum towards comprehensively addressing health
equity.

To contribute to the consultation, which has just begun and will last
approximately two months -- you can response to a survey, providing
feedback on the guide itself, or participating in one of several webinars.
To learn more and to participate, please join us:
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/oneillinstitute/research/natio
nal-health-equity-strategy.cfm

A little more information on National Health Equity Strategies is below and
this recent piece: https://www.devex.com/news/opi
nion-countries-need-to-build-national-health-equity-strateg
ies-here-s-how-92496. You can also read more at the above consultation
website.

We look forward to hearing from and working with you during our
consultation -- and even beyond. Join us
<http://www.law.georgetown.edu/oneillinstitute/research/national-health-equity-strategy.cfm>.
Please email me with any questions (eaf74 at law.georgetown.edu).

National Health Equity Strategies would cut across health issues and not be
limited to any single disease. They would encompass all populations
experiencing health inequities, analyze the causes of these inequities –
causes both within and beyond the health sector – and include action plans,
with time-bound targets, in response to them. Participation and leadership
of members of marginalized populations in developing these strategies would
be central, as would robust accountability. These strategies and their
action plans would be integrated throughout the plans and strategies of
health and other sectors.

Eric A. Friedman, JDO’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law

Georgetown University Law Center

Washington, DC USA
https://www.fcghalliance.org