PHM-Exch> World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action's 27th Birthday

Claudio Schuftan schuftan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 10:23:44 PST 2018

*WABA's 27th Birthday*

Valentine’s Day reminds us to celebrate love in all its forms. This day 27
years ago, the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action <http://waba.org.my>
(WABA) was formed to protect, promote and support breastfeeding – a
powerful expression of love and care. Breastfeeding, like love, is an
intimate act that can flourish with the support of others. WABA strives to
create a #WarmChain <http://waba.org.my/warm-chain/> of support that places
the mother-baby dyad at the core and coordinates efforts at all levels to
provide a continuum of care across the first 1000 days
<https://thousanddays.org/the-issue/why-1000-days/>. You can be part of the
Campaign and create a warm chain of support in your community. Watch out
for news and resources coming your way!

*#WBW2018*

Breastfeeding is the foundation of life. Therefore, this World
Breastfeeding Week, we address the links between breastfeeding and the
double burden of malnutrition, food security, climate change and poverty
reduction. Check out our website <http://worldbreastfeedingweek.org/> for
resources such as the Logo, Action Folder, Poster and Social Media Kit.
Let’s start to lay the foundation for a healthy and prosperous future
generation now.

*Towards a Sustainable World - One Breastfeeding Friendly City at a Time*

WABA coordinates the Making Penang Breastfeeding Friendly (MPBF) project
which brings together relevant stakeholders across health, community and
workplace sectors. Normalising breastfeeding requires attitudinal, policy
and infrastructural changes for mothers to breastfeed anytime, anywhere.
The vision is to make Penang the first breastfeeding friendly state in the
country, which will then be promoted as a model to other states of Malaysia
and beyond. Creating breastfeeding friendly cities will contribute to
the Sustainable
Development Goals
<http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/sustainable-development-goals.html>
(Goal 11
<http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/sustainable-development-goals/goal-11-sustainable-cities-and-communities.html>).

*WABA Seed Grant Project*

There is strength in numbers. Working together to effect change can best be
achieved with adequate support. The Seed Grant Project will engage
organisations working on collaborative projects linked to our three
campaigns: Empowering Parents Campaign (EPC), Warm Chain and World
Breastfeeding Week. The EPC Seed grants are already ongoing and we will be
announcing the Warm Chain and WBW Seed grants later this year.

*Breastfeeding Training *

WABA organises the Breastfeeding Advocacy and Practice (BAP
<http://waba.org.my/bap/>) Course to equip doctors, midwives and other
senior health professionals with knowledge and skills. In 2018, the BAP
course will be held between 9-22 September in Penang, Malaysia. BAP 2018
will focus on training Warm Chain Teams from selected countries in Asia and
Africa.

*WABA at International Events*

We look forward to engaging with you at the World Health Assembly 2018
<http://www.who.int/mediacentre/events/governance/wha/en/>, the International
Lactation Consultant Association
<http://www.ilca.org/main/learning/conference/ilca18home> conference,
the Academy
of Breastfeeding Medicine <http://abm-europe.org/blog> conference, the 22nd
International <https://www.aids2018.org>AIDS Conference
<https://www.aids2018.org> and many more.

There is a lot that can be achieved by working together. We look forward to
hearing more about your experiences in protecting, promoting and supporting
breastfeeding. Do remember to send your WBW report and engage with us on
social media. Let us make 2018 an even better year for mothers and babies
around the world!