PHM-Exch> WABA 2017 World AIDS Day Statement

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Tue Nov 28 00:07:36 PST 2017

From: Pei Ching Chuah <peiching.chuah at waba.org.my>
World Alliance for Breastfeeding

*MY HEALTH, MY RIGHT CAMPAIGN! A Breastfeeding perspective*

The *World Aids Day Campaign 2017* claims the right to health for everyone
living with HIV, regardless of culture, gender, orientation, age, social
class and belief. This includes the right of everyone living with and
affected by HIV, to the prevention and treatment of ill health, to make
decisions about their own health and to be treated with respect and dignity
without discrimination.1 The right to health depends on social justice,
sanitation, a clean environment, and access to skilled professionals,1 all
of which are underpinned by the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Also,
the *my health, my right* campaign increases visibility about the need to
achieve good health for everyone, everywhere.

*Considering that women represent 52% of all people affected by
HIV,2 WABA draws attention to the role of the protection, promotion and
support of optimal breastfeeding as a way of ensuring women’s rights.**3*

*My health, my right for women and children*

Today the gender gap drives the HIV epidemic in countries of high incidence
and prevalence.2 Many women are prevented from seeking education and work
outside their homes and from seeking access to health assistance which
significantly compromises their access to HIV diagnosis and effective
treatment. Many of these women also lack support for breastfeeding.

* WABA believes that effective policies and programmes can empower women
and girls, including the participation of boys and men in behavioral and
structural interventions, to reduce women and girls’ vulnerability to HIV.*

*WABA **calls for recognition of the evidence that breastfeeding4 is the
main resource to promote infant health and survival, and contends that
support for breastfeeding can contribute to the achievement of all the SDGs
by year 2030.5,6*

*My health, my right for breastfeeding*

Currently it is recommended that women diagnosed positive for HIV initiate
ART as early as possible,7,8 and continue lifelong drug therapy with good
adherence. There should be no restriction to breastfeeding
duration. Thus, women under lifelong ART are recommended, in line with
recommendations for the general population, to breastfeed exclusively for
the first six months, followed by continued breastfeeding with adequate
complementary food for two years or beyond.9

*ACT LOCALLY TO CREATE A WARM CHAIN <http://waba.org.my/warm-chain/> TO
PROTECT, PROMOTE AND SUPPORT BREASTFEEDING AMONG WOMEN LIVING WITH HIV*

*Identify* ACTIONS to promote, protect and support breastfeeding in the HIV
context, according to country policy (e.g. produce a community mapping to
understand the health assistance needed by women living with HIV):10

*During pregnancy guarantee that all women*

·         be tested for and receive rapid diagnosis of HIV,

·         start lifelong ART as early as possible, at least 13 weeks before
labour,7

·         in areas of high HIV incidence and prevalence, if women test
negative to HIV, receive re-testing after 3 months.7

*During labour/childbirth guarantee all women living with HIV*

·         respectful treatment with the right to have a companion at the
health facility,11

·         support by a skilled birth attendant,

·         skin-to-skin contact with her baby immediately after birth and
assistance to initiate breastfeeding within one hour after birth.5

*During rooming-in at a health facility guarantee all women living with HIV
and their newborn infants*

·         close, and continuous support to establish breastfeeding,

·         counselling at the time of the discharge, to seek support for
lifelong ART, and ARV prophylaxis for their babies (e.g. for 4 to 6 weeks),
breastfeeding support (e.g. through mother to mother peer support in the
community), infant to be tested for HIV and enrolment at a family planning
facility.

*At the community level* *guarantee all breastfeeding women living with HIV
and infants*

·         close and continuous support for women and their babies to
receive ART and appropriate ARV prophylaxis, adequate follow-up and
retention in care,7

·         HIV testing for infants at birth, at 6 weeks, 6 months and 18
months,7

·         support for exclusive breastfeeding for six months and continued
breastfeeding with appropriate complementary food for 2 years or beyond,5

·         uninfected woman should be offered HIV-testing during the
breastfeeding period.7

By creating this Warm chainof support <http://waba.org.my/warm-chain/>
across the continuum of care, women who are living with HIV can be ensured
their rights to health and be supported in their breastfeeding journeys.