PHM-Exch> Surely an appeal to citizens? 2017 report from the European Network to Reduce Vulnerabilities in Health

alison katz.alison at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 09:51:58 PST 2017

Dear friends in PHM

I can no longer bear to read terms such as "stakeholder".  This is the
language of health plutocracy and the takeover by the private sector of
yet more public spheres, in this case, health. *The appeal, if we
analyse this carefully, must be to citizens or people: *all citizens or
people, be they farmers, business men, teachers, construction workers,
health professionals.

Citizens and people are the sovereign and the are the rights holders
/and - in so far as governments democratically represent them and are
accountable to them, they are also the duty bearers. /

To hold a stake is to have an interest in something, (meaning a monetary
interest) and in its original meaning, this is no different from holding
a share (ie to be a shareholder).   It is extraordinary how this absurd
language has been adopted uncritically even among genuine health NGOs.

If we were to apply it to education, I think the absurdity would be more
apparent. Children are not stakeholders in primary education. No more
are they stakeholders in health. They are rights holders as, of course,
are all adults.

At the same time, a number of adults (citizens), through their work, or
through possession of shares, may have a financial interest in the area
of health. Some have a different interest, not primarily financial, that
is through their involvement in an association or political movement.
These roles/interests all represent different relationships to health.
They need careful analysis and categorization. But aside from these
special relationships to health, all of these people (including the CEO
of Pfizer) are rights holders as well - because they are citizens!

The language of stakeholders is dishonest. It attempts to remove
politics and interests from the analysis by blocking any distinctions in
people's relationship to the field of health.

We will never achieve the right to health if our analyses are shackled
by terminology that in itself, prevents analysis of the major obstacle
to the right to health. What is the major obstacles? More or less those
citizens and entities who are in fact /genuine stakeholders in health
because they have a financial interest in that sphere/!

In solidarity, Alison Katz