PHM-Exch> Trans Pacific Trade talks stirring again

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at
Mon Oct 16 22:26:33 PDT 2017

From: Bev Snell <bev at>

I think we thought we could forget about the TPPA  - but no.

*October 13, 2017 - Talks reopen - 50 items to be re-negotiated*Last
month another
the eleven remaining TPP countries was held in Tokyo. The TPP-11 are hoping
to reach general agreement by November 10.

The goal is for an early ratification of the TPP, in the hopes that the US
will re-join the agreement. Although Australia, New Zealand and Japan are
keen to minimise changes to the text, at least 50 items
been listed for renegotiation or suspension. Some TPP-11 governments only
originally agreed to certain rules – like increased monopolies on medicines
and copyright, and foreign investor rights to sue governments – in exchange
for access to US markets.  They will not implement them without access to
US markets.
The information is on the HAIAP website too
under the introduction