PHM-Exch> Food for a heart beating thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sat May 31 03:29:22 PDT 2014

Human Rights Reader 340

*GENUINE PARTICIPATION MUST COME BEFORE ACCOUNTABILITY*

In truly democratic societies, active participation is the means for people
to voice their criticism, to open the gates to class actions, to demand
justice and to change negative ingrained traditions.

But true democracies are a utopia (which we still nevertheless ultimately
pursue). On an every day basis, what we see more of instead is that,
feeling voiceless, more and more people now demand to be heard, to have a
say. With a renewed sense of self-determination and self-confidence they
want not only token participation, but voice and ultimately influence.

For the full Reader,  go to

http://www.socialmedicine.org/?p=6781

Claudio