No subject

Sun May 11 03:02:16 PDT 2014

public health authorities in Baghdad, I listen to the blow by blow =
account of the impact of wars and sanctions on ordinary people. Half a =
million children have died due to war and sanctions related reasons in =
the first ten years. Depleted Uranium that was used extensively during =
the indiscriminate bombing by US and British forces is taking a heavy =
toll on children and others. Sanctions and the war didn't spare even =
those who weren't born then !

In 1997, UNICEF estimated that 32 percent of children under five, some =
960,000 children, were chronically malnourished-a rise of 72 percent =
since the imposition of sanctions in 1991. Of them 23 per cent were =
underweight - twice as high as the levels found in neighbouring Jordan =
or Turkey. The situation has further deteriorated since then.=20

Every month, over 6,000 children die due to sanctions (and war) related =
reasons. In the next 30 days another 6,000 children may die due to =
similar reasons. This is mass funeral in slow motion. A war will amplify =
/ accelerate the speed.=20

In your guest lecture I observe that you stop quoting Alma Ata when it =
reaches principle no : VI-7 and moves on to the report of the Director =
General.=20

Looking at the plight of ordinary people (especially children and women) =
in Iraq and their health that was devastated by the war and sanctions, I =
would like you to consider raising an equally important issue that Alma =
Ata deals with : i.e.; on peace and conflicts.

I quote below the relevant section from Alma Ata.

X=20
An acceptable level of health for all the people of the world by the =
year 2000 can be attained through a fuller and better use of the world's =
resources, a considerable part of which is now spent on armaments and =
military conflicts. A genuine policy of independence, peace, d=E9tente =
and disarmament could and should release additional resources that could =
well be devoted to peaceful aims and in particular to the acceleration =
of social and economic development of which primary health care, as an =
essential part, should be allotted its proper share.=20

Also please find below the relevant sections from the People's Charter =
for Health:
War, violence, conflict and natural disasters
War, violence, conflict and natural disasters devastate communities and =
destroy human dignity. They have a severe impact on the physical and =
mental health of their members, especially women and children. Increased =
arms procurement and an aggressive and corrupt international arms trade =
undermine social, political and economic stability and the allocation of =
resources to the social sector.

This Charter calls on people of the world to:=20

  a.. Support campaigns and movements for peace and disarmament.=20
  b.. Support campaigns against aggression, and the research, =
production, testing and use of weapons of mass destruction and other =
arms, including all types of landmines.=20
  c.. Support people's initiatives to achieve a just and lasting peace, =
especially in countries with experiences of civil war and genocide.=20
  d.. Condemn the use of child soldiers, and the abuse and rape, torture =
and killing of women and children.=20
  e.. Demand the end of occupation as one of the most destructive tools =
to human dignity.=20
  f.. Oppose the militarisation of humanitarian relief interventions.=20
  g.. Demand the radical transformation of the UN Security Council so =
that it functions democratically.=20
  h.. Demand that the United Nations and individual states end all kinds =
of sanctions used as an instrument of aggression which can damage the =
health of civilian populations.=20
  i.. Encourage independent, people-based initiatives to declare =
neighbourhoods, communities and cities areas of peace and zones free of =
weapons.=20
  j.. Support actions and campaigns for the prevention and reduction of =
aggressive and violent behaviour, especially in men, and the fostering =
of peaceful coexistence.=20
  k.. Support actions and campaigns for the prevention of natural =
disasters and the reduction of subsequent human suffering.=20
There may be many opinions when Iraq is discussed. But teh situation =
reminds me of an old saying from the region: "When two big elephants =
fight, it is the grass that suffers". This is what people are going =
through.

Regards and in solidarity

Unni

Dr. Unnikrishnan PV; E-mail: unnikru at yahoo.com
=20

In the next 24 hours, 30,000 children will die from preventable diseases =
on planet earth.=20
These deaths can be stopped.=20
Join www.TheMillionSignatureCampaign.org, a march demanding Health for =
All NOW !!