PHM-Exch> Food for thought about a state of mind

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun May 4 21:29:25 PDT 2014

Human Rights Reader 338

*ON DEVELOPMENT, THE LAW, EMPTY PROMISES AND RESISTANCE IN TIMES OF
AGITATION.*

  *A cautionary tale:*

Before the law, there is a sentinel. A peasant approaches this guard and
requests the permission to enter the law. But the guard responds that, for
now, he cannot let him in. The man takes a moment to think and asks if
later the guard would let him in. “It is possible”, says the watchman, “but
not now”. The peasant had not foreseen this difficulty; the law should
always be accessible to all, he thinks. The guard gives him a little stool
to sit on. There, the peasant waits days, months and years. He tries to
bribe the guard who accepts the bribes and says: “I accept your gifts so
you do not think you have omitted any attempt and effort for me to let you
in”. Time passes until he has only little more time to live. Before dying
he asks the guard to come closer. “What do you want now?”, he asks.
“Everybody seeks the law but, in all these years I have seen nobody else
coming to this gate, how come?”, the peasant asks, to which the guard
replies: “Nobody could, because this gate has only been for you, and now I
am going to close it”.

For the full Reader, go to

http://www.socialmedicine.org/?p=6773

Claudio