PHM-Exch> Patient-Centered Medical Home as a PHC model in the US?

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Mar 30 19:30:59 PDT 2014

From: Matt Anderson <mattanderson at socialmedicine.org>

I would like to share with my non-US colleagues a critique of mine that was
just published in the Health Affairs blog. It concerns the Patient-Centered
Medical Home (PCMH), a primary care model built around the idea of a
"medical home."  Since US "innovations" tend to be exported to other
countries this may be of interest to an international audience.

Recent studies have not shown that the PCMH model produces better clinical
or process outcomes.  This is not particularly surprising since the
problems of primary care in the US are deeply rooted in the structure of
our medical-industrial complex.  We like to fund expensive, high-tech,
procedure oriented medical 'Interventions" and neglect primary care and
community health.

This essay will hopefully serve as a warning. The PCMH is a model of what
NOT to do.

Go to
http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2014/03/17/nine-questions-about-my-new-medical-home/