PHM-Exch> [PHM News] PHM Sri Lanka Report

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Jan 15 09:26:29 PST 2014

*SYMPOSIUM ON HUMAN RIGHTS, INDEPENDENCE OF THE JUDICIARY & HEALTH RIGHTS*

The People’s Health Movement, Sri Lanka (PHMSL) held the above Symposium on
11 January 2014 with their member organizations. It was held in Colombo.  The
hall was fully packed and all the participants listened to the proceedings
enthusiastically.  Dr Vinya Ariyaratne took the chair.

Mr Saliya Peiris, prominent Human Rights Lawyer in Sri Lanka spoke on the
prevailing  human rights status and the situation on the independence of
the judiciary of the country.  He explained that the Sri Lanka Constitution
does not have the right to life and he mentioned that, by way of certain
judgments, the right to life has been accepted.  Mr Peiris  stated that
many human rights are included in the Sri Lanka Constitution but, at
present, those rights are in danger because of the deterioration of
independence of judiciary.  As an example was given the abolishing of the 17
th Amendment of the Constitution and the Impeachment of the former Chief
Justice.   It was his fervent view that if human rights are to be
safeguarded it is vital to have independence of the judiciary.

Dr Manuj Weerasinghe, Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Medicine of the
University of Colombo spoke about the health rights.  He Emphasized that
the Sri Lankan Constitution does not mention about the right to health.  He
further explained that it is our duty to make sure that  health rights are
included in the Sri Lanka Constitution. He further stated that there are
many judgments which can be used to protect health rights.

After that, as regards the Drug Policy,  Dr Manuj mentioned that the
National Medicines Drug Policy was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers in
2006 which includes 10 areas that need to be implemented.  The citizens  of
this country need to know if those areas are addressed adequately and in a
comprehensive manner in the draft *National Medicinal Drugs Authority *Bill.
Hence,  we should demand that this bill in full should be given to the
public to observe and to comment.  The citizens of this country have the
right to know that the contents of this Bill, before it is presented to the
Parliament.  The citizens of the country are to suffer if harmful
provisions are included or deliberate safeguards are omitted in this
Bill.  This
Bill is kept under close doors up to now even from the professionals and
key stakeholders and health activists.  He further emphasized that this
very action could arise suspicion on the actual contents of the proposed
bill.

Dr Dayanath Ranatunga, Sri Lanka Representative of UNAIDS explained why we
use health rights approach for health programmes.  The victims blame
approach discriminates the victims.  The rights based approach protects the
rights of the victims.  Especially, when we work to control HIV and AIDS,
we have protect the rights of the PLHIV.  He stated that otherwise we are
creating more problems to victims and he explained about the present
doctor-patient relationship as a power struggle.  The patients do not have
the courage to find out details from the doctor.  Hence, our duty is to
empower common people to have a dialogue with the medical people.

After this, many participants presented their individual views.  All agreed
to have a campaign to know the status of the Drugs Policy.  It was also
decided to be vigilant about the independence of judiciary.

Sirimal Peiris