PHM-Exch> Fwd: Follow up of the 8th Global Conference on Health Promotion

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Dec 15 04:09:53 PST 2013

From: PHM's WHO Watch

The WHO Executive Board meeting in Geneva in Jan 2014 will consider a
proposal from Finland (see EB134/1
Add.1<http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/EB134/B134_1Add1-en.pdf>)
entitled: “Contributing to social and economic development: sustainable
action across sectors to improve health and health equity” which is a
follow up from the 8th Global Health Promotion Conference in Helsinki in
June 2013.

(Readers may recall that the official
declaration<http://www.who.int/healthpromotion/conferences/8gchp/statement_2013/en/>from
the Helsinki Conference was felt by many to be unduly bland and was
shadowed by a PHM Call to
Action<http://www.ghwatch.org/sites/www.ghwatch.org/files/PHMStatementat8GCHP-PromotingHealthforAllandSocialJustice.pdf>(Promoting
Health for All and Social Justice in the Era of Global
Capitalism) which reiterated some of the Civil Society
Declaration<http://www.ghwatch.org/sites/www.ghwatch.org/files/AlternativeCivilSocietyDeclarationWithSignatures23Sept11.pdf>from
the 2011 Rio Conference on SDH.)

PHM’s WHO Watch project will be at the EB and the WHA and we are presently
preparing comments to be shared with delegates before and during the
meetings.  WHO Watch is keen to hear from PHM activists and friends who are
involved in the struggle over the social determination of health and who
might have suggestions about how our watchers might approach this new item.

Please respond to: sdh-watch at phmovement.org.

Warmest greetings

WHO Watch