PHM-Exch> [PHM News]: WHO Executive Board to deliberate on aging; is this the best use of their time?

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sat Dec 14 04:25:56 PST 2013

From: David Legge <dlegge at phmovement.org>

The WHO Executive Board meets in late January 2014. On their agenda (8.2)
is: “Multisectoral action for a life course approach to healthy ageing”

The Secretariat has prepared a report
(EB134/19<http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/EB134/B134_19-en.pdf>)
which “… outlines the challenges and the opportunities of population
ageing, and the current lack of an adequate global public health response.
Effective action will need to take account, not only of changing
demographics, but also concurrent changes in social determinants and
interrelationships with other major global trends. Proposals for action
will be presented.”

PHM’s WHO Watch project will be at the EB and the WHA and we are presently
preparing comments to be shared with delegates before and during the
meetings.  We would be most grateful for your advice.

The Secretariat
report<http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/EB134/B134_12-en.pdf>appears
to be a bit confused and doesn’t say very much which raises the
question of why WHO is considering this issue at this time.

PHM is keen to hear from PHM activists and friends who are interested in /
working in the field of aging from the PHM perspective. We are keen to
hear  your assessment of the WHO document and suggestions about how PHM
might usefully comment.

If you are involved in lobbying your country’s delegates about these issues
we would be keen to hear your line of argument.

Please respond to: pgs-watch at phmovement.org.

Warmest greetings

WHO Watch