PHM-Exch> [PHM NEWS] : EB134. Item 6.1 Global strategy and targets for tuberculosis prevention, care and control after 2015

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Dec 13 03:52:56 PST 2013

From: David Legge <dlegge at phmovement.org>

WHO’s global strategy and targets for tuberculosis prevention, care and
control after 2015 will be considered by the WHO Executive Board in January
2014 and again in May 2014 at the WHA.

PHM’s WHO Watch project will be at the EB and the WHA and we are presently
preparing comments to be shared with delegates before and during the
meetings.  We would be most grateful for your advice.

The Secretariat
report<http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/EB134/B134_12-en.pdf>has
now been posted. Some of the critical challenges identified include:
multidrug resistance, HIV-associated tuberculosis, weak health systems,
funding gaps, underlying determinants (poverty, hunger, living conditions).
The Secretariat report identifies key approaches.  Yet more targets.  Ten
principles for draft strategy.

PHM is keen to hear from PHM activists and friends who are working in the
tuberculosis field from the PHM perspective. We are keen to hear  your
assessment of the WHO document and suggestions about how it might be
improved.

If you are involved in lobbying your country’s delegates about these issues
we would be keen to hear your line of argument.

Please respond to: dc-watch at phmovement.org.

Warmest greetings

WHO Watch