PHM-Exch> UCLA-IRLE Research Brief on Health and Safety in Export Zones

Todd Jailer todd at hesperian.org
Wed Dec 4 15:39:23 PST 2013

Although we spend about half of our waking hours at work, rarely is that
reflected in the health care that we access, or the role of work in our
right to health. To provide a tool in the struggle for workers' rights
and occupational health, Hesperian is close to releasing /A Guide to
Workers' Health and Safety
<http://hesperian.org/books-and-resources/?book=advance_chapters_from_a_workers_guide_to_health_and_safety>/
that focuses on the garment, shoe, and electronics industries. The book
looks at both work hazards as well as what we call "social hazards:" low
wages, violence, sexual harassment, child labor, etc. and their impact
on our health. A section of the book on identifying and dealing with
toxic chemicals in the workplace is another innovative feature of this
material.Recently, a *Research Brief
<http://www.irle.ucla.edu/publications/documents/ResearchBrief16.pdf>*
on the book and the process of creating it was released on the website
of the *UCLA Institute for Research on Labor & Employment
<http://www.irle.ucla.edu/>*, here:
http://www.irle.ucla.edu/publications/documents/ResearchBrief16.pdf

Here's how they describe it:

"The collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Bangladesh on April
24, 2013, was one of the world's deadliest industrial disasters. Killing
over 1,100 garment workers, it set the stage for a renewed discussion
about working conditions for the people who make the clothes Americans
wear. Roughly 97% of the clothing sold in the US is made
internationally, largely in export factories and Export Processing Zones
(EPZs) scattered across the globe.  The dramatic expansion of these
factories and EPZs in their various forms has occurred without an
increased commitment on the part of manufacturers, producers, investors,
or governments to workers' health and safety on the job. This research
brief reviews the growth and characteristics of EPZs and gives an
in-depth introduction to a new educational tool, the /Workers' Guide to
Health and Safety,/ a book being published in spring 2014 by Hesperian
Health Guides in Berkeley, California. Using a popular education
approach, prioritizing women workers' concerns, and building on workers'
and organizers' experiences from the inception of the project, the
/Workers' Guide/ has the potential to be an important tool in ongoing
organizing in export manufacturing. "read more:
http://www.irle.ucla.edu/publications/documents/ResearchBrief16.pdf

--
Todd Jailer, Managing Editor

Hesperian Health Guides