PHM-Exch> Food for a humiliating thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Tue Nov 19 11:33:56 PST 2013

Human Rights Reader 328

*THE WORSE OUTCOME OF ALL THE AGGRESSIONS TO THE HUMAN CONDITION THAT HUMAN
RIGHTS VIOLATIONS BRING ABOUT IS HUMILIATION. *

Aggressions directed towards the human rights of marginalized individuals
or groups utterly disarm them; they devastate the most essential tenets of
their dignity. To effectively counter these aggressions, we all need to get
rid of our perennial sense of compassion --the one that only generates
feelings of piousness and leads to charity. This is why I am, once again
here, making an appeal for all of us to refocus our work away from charity
and towards HR in our respective professional lives.
The alternative I am calling-for is to embrace and offer a political
alternative in human rights work.

At whom is this call directed to?, you will ask. At you, of course. But
also, among others, the call is directed

*At academics and intellectuals *

*At bureaucrats*

*At political parties and politicians *

* At the media*