PHM-Exch> Food for a democracy liquidating thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Sep 15 06:25:30 PDT 2013

* *

Human Rights Reader 324

***THE GEOGRAPHY OF POWER IS CHANGING IN THE WORLD. IN HUMAN RIGHTS TERMS,
OUR WORLD IS NOT ENTERING A NEW ERA OF RICH AND POOR, BUT MORE AND MORE AN
ERA OF THE INCLUDED AND THE EXCLUDED.*  ****

-There is a class war, it is true. But it is my class, the class of the
rich, that is fighting it --and we are winning. (Warren Buffett)

-We are living through a capitalism of catastrophe, one that is less and
less controllable. It is no longer a financial capitalism, but a
planet-devouring-capitalism.

The rich world is witnessing the brutal implementation of widespread
austerity measures One wonders whether Northern leaders are conducting the
economy with the foot on the brake pedal. They are clearly taking decisions
based on ideology rather than on sound economics. The question is: Have
human rights  activists been reacting too little and too late…or hardly at
all?

The greatest victory of ‘the system’ in all this has been achieved by
imposing a belief. i.e., generating, maintaining and consolidating such a
belief. (The dominant classes have been master creators of beliefs made
myths). Their convincing actually explains their winning so far --a winning
that has combined ideology and communications. Since what is at stake is
too important, the time has come for us HR activists to replace the
out-of-date belief system. I ask, does this mean we have to create
transcendent and inspiring counter-myths?

To read the full Reader, go to

http://wp.me/plAxa-1IJ

Claudio