PHM-Exch> Universal Health Coverage (UHC): MMI discussion paper

Thomas Schwarz MMI schwarz at medicusmundi.org
Tue Aug 13 05:32:49 PDT 2013

Basel, 13 August 2013. Like many other actors in global health, the Medicus
Mundi International Network (MMI) is overwhelmed by the attention given to
the concept of Universal Health Coverage (UHC) in the last two years, mainly
by the World Health Organization and related to the debate on health in the
post-2015 development agenda. We have followed this debate with great
interest, as the "UHC hype" has brought health systems strengthening, a core
concern of MMI, back to the top of the global health agenda.

A MMI discussion paper published today compares key elements of the concept
of UHC as promoted by the World Health Organization with our own ambition of
Health for All. In the three sections (1) "What is (in) Universal Health
Coverage?", (2) "Financing UHC", and (3) "UHC and health equity" of the
discussion paper we directly refer to two "questions and answers" papers
recently published by the World Health Organization and add some of our
reflections and open questions, hoping to contribute with this to the
further discussion within and beyond our Network.

The MMI discussion paper is available on the MMI website, together with a
thematic guide on UHC:
http://www.medicusmundi.org/en/contributions/news/2013/mmi-uhc-discussion-pa
per

Thomas Schwarz, Executive Secretary