PHM-Exch> [PHM NEWS] Get involved in the WHO watch!

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Thu Aug 8 02:04:18 PDT 2013

From: Anneleen De Keukelaere <anneleen at phmovement.org>

Hello PHM friends,

Greetings from the WHO watch team!

As you know, the next World Health Organisation’s Executive Board (EB)
meeting will take place in January 2014 in Geneva, and PHM will be present
to watch the procedures. However WHO watching is more than being a watchdog
in Geneva. It is about taking action and initiating change through
advocating our positions on the agenda items with country delegations and
WHO staff and supporting local country campaigns on topics discussed at the
EB!

As most of you know, during a four day workshop in the lead up to the EB
and World Health Assembly (WHA), we go through each agenda item and develop
a commentary paper which is disseminated amongst country delegations. For
most items we develop a civil society statement that is read out during the
WHA and EB. Our presence over the last years has increased our visibility
and our well-developed civil society statements and commentaries are
appreciated and requested by many country delegations before and during the
WHA and EB. (Click
here<http://www.ghwatch.org/sites/www.ghwatch.org/files/PHM%28130519%29OpenLetter2Delegates2WHA66.pdf>for

the PHM commentary of WHA66 and
here<http://www.ghwatch.org/who-watch/eb133>for the PHM commentary of
EB133, June 2013).

*How could you be involved?*

*
*

Although the watchers work has been well received in Geneva, we realise
that to effectively lobby country delegations and as such initiate change,
country delegations need to be lobbied earlier, as well as within their own
countries before the EB and WHA take place in Geneva.

Secondly, the experiences and expertise from PHM’ers active around specific
topics globally or within their country could significantly increase the
quality of WHO watch work impacting on local level. Also, this is a chance
to bring the local struggle to regional/global level and share with/learn
from others in similar local struggles!

It is for this reason that in the lead up to EB 134 we would like to do
things a bit differently. We have set up topic teams with experienced
watchers and PHM’ers based in different countries and working on topics to
be discussed at this EB. These teams would (via email and skype) develop a
commentary, item report and civil society statement on the specific topic
they work on. This work does not require travelling to Geneva, and can be
done from the country PHM’ers work in. The WHO watchers will be
coordinating this process and take active part in the

organisation and development of the documents.

Visit www.ghwatch.org for more info on the WHO watch.

*
*

*This post on the exchange is to ask if you would be interested in joining
one of the below thematic clusters, coordinated by the WHO watchers. **Your
level of engagement can depend on your time available.  It can include (but
does not need to include all) to give inputs on the topic, develop
statements and commentaries, and/or lobbying country delegation. *

*
*

*If you would like to be part of the WHO watch team, you could add your
name and contact next to the topics below. If you would like to be involved
in only one of the subthemes, indicate this in the table. The watchers will
then contact you directly to move forward.*

*
*

*LET US KNOW BEFORE MONDAY 12 AUGUST on globalsecretariat at phmovement.org*

*
 <globalsecretariat at phmovement.org>*

*Social Determinants of Health*

Social Determinants of Health, Food & Nutrition, Climate Change

* *

*Diseases and Conditions*

HIV/AIDS, Non-communicable Diseases, Mental Health, Smallpox, malaria,
Poliomyelitis, Onchocerciasis, Dracunculiasis, Injury, Psoriasis

* *

*Global Health Governance*

WHO reform, International Health Regulations, WHO finance and Budget,
MDG’s, Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, WIPO, Global Health
Initiatives, International Health Partnerships+

* *

*Health Systems*

* *

Global immunization, Health System Financing, Health System Strengthening,
Mental Health programs and Services

* *

*Medicines*

* *

Access to medicines: Quality, Safety and efficacy

* *

*Population Groups*

* *

Infants and young children, Women, Migrants and Refugees

* *

*External assistance and health development*

* *

External assistance and health development, Humanitarian disaster assistance

* *

*Political Economy of Health*

Trade and Health, Pandemic influenza preparedness, Intellectual Property
Rights and Innovation, Tax Justice, Transnational Corporation and Health.

* *

Looking forward hearing from you!
Greetings from the WHO watch team!